Facebook Torture Video


Jackalyn Diaz , Helix Life Editor

It’s every parent’s worst nightmare.


A special needs teen was brutally beaten while another live broadcasted it via Facebook. The  victimized teen had been tied up for about four or five hours, according to CNN.


The video of the attack shows the victim cowering in the corner of the room while tied up with his mouth sealed with duct tape. One attacker slashes the victims sweatshirt with a knife and later takes the knife to the victim’s head, removing part of his scalp.


For the next horrific 25 minutes, the abuse continued for the world to see. The victim is repeatedly punched and kicked and his screams and cries are ignored.


The video of the torture had shocked, not only because of the graphic abuse but because some of the vulgar comments made by the assailants. The attackers were heard shouting things to the victim like “F*** Donald Trump” and “F*** white people” throughout the live stream.


Joseph Hobson, a junior at Helix who saw the video said “ This was in fact a hate crime and needs to be viewed as one. I feel so sorry for the the victim and his family. We all just need to learn how to respect and accept the different views people hold.”


Claims about the attack being affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement started immediately after the video had gone viral. However according to CNN, Chicago police say they see no connection between the suspects and the Black Lives Matter activist movement, contrary to reports on social media.


Former Chicago police officer, Dimitri Roberts told CNN “ This is hate and hate doesn’t have color. So for folks to talk about this is somehow connected to Black Lives Matter is absolutely the wrong way to look at this. … And we cannot respond to hate with hate. It’s just going to perpetuate the cycle.”


18-year-olds, Jordan Hill, Tesfaye Cooper, Brittany Covington, and along with 24-year-old, Tanishia Covington have each been charged with a hate crime, felony aggravated kidnapping, aggravated unlawful restraint and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.   


According to CNN the victim’s brother- in- law spoke briefly with the press on Jan 5 2017. Reading a statement, David Boyd said “ We are so grateful for all the prayers and efforts that led to the safe return of our brother. We’re fully aware of the charges being brought against the offenders. At this time, we ask for continued prayers for all those involved, for our family’s privacy as we cope and heal,”.

The teen is said to be doing as well as one can imagine after having such a horrific experience. Boyd told the media that everyone in the family has seen the video, but he didn’t make any further comments. The suspects appeared in court Jan 6 2017.