The 2016 Presidential Election

The 2016 Presidential Election

Sadie Neville, Co-Editor in Chief

Through all the stress and frustration of the past year in the election, Americans (more specifically, the electoral college) have elected their president.

Although Secretary Clinton won the popular vote among citizens by almost 400,000, the much-criticized electoral college system declared businessman-turned-politician Donald Trump to lead our country for the next four years.

The news brought triumph to many, but shock and heartbreak to more. Many “swing states” took unexpected turns in their polling numbers, arguably losing Clinton the election.

Gregory Wawro, a Columbia University political science professor, explains this phenomenon, saying that if a state has a large number of electoral votes and a history of competition between Democrats and Republicans, it is likely to be a “swing state.”

Examples of swing states in the 2016 election were Florida (won by Trump), Pennsylvania (Trump), and Ohio (Trump). Clinton won the more liberal states’ support, in California, Oregon, and Virginia, to name a few.

Since the election concluded, both violent and peaceful protests have broken out across the country in schools, city streets, and most notably, outside the Trump Tower in New York City.

The crowds have been eclectic – women, minorities, those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and millions more have gathered together to show their frustrations towards the newly-elected president.

On the other hand, a few Trump supporters have fired back, shouting and graffiting racial slurs towards many Hispanics and Muslim-Americans, claiming they don’t have a place in “Trump’s America.” Trump has famously declared his plans to build a wall on the Mexican-American border, and said late last December on Muslims, that “They’re not coming to this country if I’m president.”

However, both candidates delivered respectful and honorable speeches following the election.

Trump complimented Clinton’s hard work and dedication to her campaign, and called for “all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation…to come together as one united people.”

And Clinton’s concession speech, which was given later that morning, highlighted her supporters, as she said “I feel pride and gratitude for this wonderful campaign that we built together, this vast, diverse, creative, unruly, energized campaign. You represent the best of America and being your candidate has been one of the greatest honors of my life.”