The Met Gala is a huge annual event that is held on the first Monday of May in New York City for all of the most famous celebrities and designers to show off.
The event has been chaired by US Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, who enlists public figures to serve as her co-chairs, and this year’s co-hosts were Lady Gaga, Harry Styles, Alessandro Michele and Serena Williams who are seen as fashion icons or camp aficionados.
The Met Gala is formally known as the Costume Institute Gala and is a fundraising event for The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City and marks the opening day of the museum’s annual fashion exhibit.
As you may know, many A-list celebrities are invited and many designer brands like Versace, Gucci, Prada, Christian Dior, Marc Jacobs, Moschino, Burberry, and many leap at the opportunity to design looks for the celebrities attending the event.
However, the designers aren’t left without inspiration; each year the event holds a theme, and this year’s was called ‘Camp: Notes on Fashion.’
This theme was inspired by Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay that defines camp as “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration.”
Camp fashion can be humorous, ironic, or simply extreme in its nature.
Heres a peek at some of the winning looks for this year’s gala
1. Ezra Miller gave a wild illusion beauty look wearing a Burberry suit.
2. Anna Wintour with a beaded Chanel dress and 3 million feathered cape.
3. Janelle Monáe went with a literal head-to-toe interpretation of the camp theme with a look by Christian Siriano and inspiration from her favorite artist Pablo Picasso.
4. For his first appearance at one of fashion’s biggest events, the 25-year-old singer Harry Styles dressed to impress in a Gucci ensemble.
5. Jared Leto came in included some props with his outfit which was also designed by Gucci by Alessandro Michele and walked in carrying his own head.
6. Billy Porter‘s entrance at Met Gala 2019 was the most fabulous of all times. Wearing a 24-karat gold headpiece, as well as custom gold-leaf Giuseppe Zanotti shoes and fine jewels by Andreoli and Oscar Heyman.
7. Kim Kardashian wore a beaded latex Thierry Mugler dress that literally dripped with crystals and took 8 months to make.
8. Lady Gaga stunned with all 4 of her outfits by Brandon Maxwell.
9. Ryan Murphy worked with designer Christian Siriano to pay tribute to Liberace by wearing a 100-pound pearl encrusted cape.
10. Dapper Dan in an amazing Gucci suit.
11. Cardi B’s arrives in a massive red gown by Thom Browne
12. Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas dressed up for the night’s Camp theme in Dior.
There were many more amazing looks along with a few flops here and there but expectations were exceeded with this year’s beautiful designs, And now, we are left looking forward to the amazing looks of next year’s ball.