Helix Goes Across the Pond

The Biennial Trip to the U.K.

Helix Goes Across the Pond

Grace Fields, News Editor

Helix students were given many opportunities to travel over spring break. Any while many juniors headed up the west coast for College for Me, around 50 Helix students and staff went a bit farther, setting their sights on the other side of the world.

The trip, lead by Barbara Dagman, one of Helix’s sophomore English teachers, was an 11-day literary-themed trip that took students all throughout the United Kingdom.

The group flew into Dublin and spent a few days frolicking around the city and visiting landmarks.

The Trinity College Library

One of the destinations in Dublin was Trinity College and the Book of Kells. The college itself was beautiful, being right in the middle of the city, and the library was even more incredible. Everything about it, even the smell of the books, seemed to exude the rich history and charm that the library, the school, and the city all have.

After their time in Dublin, the group took a ferry to Wales, where they stopped in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, the village with the longest name in all of Britain. The name, originally in Welsh, can be translated to “St Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel, near to the fierce whirlpool of St Tysilio of the Red Cave” in English.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

The next stop was a salt mine in the Welsh countryside, then York, a quaint, picturesque town in Northern England.

From there, the group traveled to Haworth, the town where the Bronte sisters, (Charlotte, Emily, and Anne) grew up. The sisters are known for their literary genius; Charlotte and Emily both wrote extremely famous novels, and Anne is better known for her poetry. The group toured the house where they lived, saw the table at which Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre were both written, and got to wander through the famous moors that surrounded the town.

The Haworth Countryside, where the Bronte sisters grew up

The group then went to Stratford-upon-Avon and saw Shakespeare’s birthplace.

Shakespeare’s Birthplace

The final stop was London, where they stayed for the last five nights of the trip. They toured around London, visiting its most iconic landmarks, and had several day trips from London, where the group went to both Stonehenge and Bath.

Tower Bridge in London

Junior Rosa Julius said that the trip, “was so, so fun,” and that she’s, “glad that she went.”

When asked why she plans all of these trips, Mrs. Dagman said she does it “for the enrichment of the students,” and her love for the humanities. She went on a school-led trip during 7th grade and says that it was a life-changing experience. She wants to do the same for the students that go on her trips.

Mrs. Dagman’s next trip is in two years from now and includes destinations in both Italy and Greece.

Junior J.D. Hopper said that he had a “great time” on the trip and that he “100% recommends” anyone who is thinking of going on the next trip to step out of their comfort zones and experience European life for a bit.

The tour group going down the escalator in London at the tube