A Coming of Age Film: “Lady Bird” Review

The movie poster

The movie poster

Grace Fields, News Editor

Greta Gerwig, director of films such as “Frances Ha,” “Mistress America,” and several other popular movies, has by no means disappointed with her newest release, a coming-of-age indie film by the name of “Lady Bird.”

“Lady Bird” was released in certain theaters on Nov. 3, but has only been playing at local theaters for a small amount of time.

The movie poster

The movie is already critically acclaimed, having won the New York Film Critics Circle Best Picture award. It has also broken a record for its 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, as no other movie has kept a perfect rating for as many reviews.

The movie follows the story of Christine McPherson (Saoirse Ronan), who calls herself Lady Bird throughout her senior year of high school.

Saoirse Ronan, who plays Lady Bird in the movie

Lady Bird faces continuous struggles throughout the movie. She battles constantly with her mother, played by Laurie Metcalf, who is very much alike McPherson, thus the reason for their conflicts.

Lady Bird and her mother

The story follows not only her issues with her mother, but also with her social and romantic endeavors. Her character is inherently individual, which often makes it hard for her to fit in. Lady Bird is like many in this way, which helps make the movie relatable to the masses.

“Lady Bird” was overall a very well-done movie. It manages to be both entertaining and very meaningful, revealing the absurdities of Lady Bird’s life while keeping in touch with the deeper meaning of everything.

It has the cult-classic feel of so many popular movies, while making a commentary on the conflict that many feel of wanting to be accepted, and trying to find your identity.

“Lady Bird,” is already breaking records, and is only continuing to grow in popularity.

If you have the chance, make sure to see “Lady Bird” while it is still in theaters.

Some of the cast members of “Lady Bird”