China’s New ‘Forest City’

Robert Resendiz, Photography Editor

Usually, when shopping for real estate, you have to choose between land and city. But in China, you can have both!

The new Forest City will be located in southern China’s Guangxi Province, home to 30,000 people once it’s completed in 2020, reported by The Daily Mail.

According to, National Geographic, researchers in China have found that in 2016 alone, the nation is responsible for a fifth of its air pollutants consisting of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and carbon monoxide. These substances have been involved in the production of goods for export.

In fact, China knows that their actual forests aren’t beneficial to the environment. “China’s forests are not as green as we think,” says Xu Jianchu, a professor of ethnoecology, at the Kunming Institute of Botany in southwest China

CNN reports that the new city is a step into fixing the climate change crises, such as absorbing 10,000 tons of carbon dioxide and 57 tons of pollutants per year, and producing 900 tons of oxygen a year. The expected result is that the air temperature will decrease and provide a new habitat for lost wildlife.

Business Insider reports that the plants will eat 25 tons of carbon dioxide each year and produce about 60 kg of oxygen daily.

Photo via ScienceAlert

USA Today News reports that the Forest City is estimated to be half of the size of the central park in New York.  

The upside of this project will come with many positive effects that will result in renewable energy to power the buildings and geothermal energy to power air-conditioning, adding to the project’s green appeal.

It’s never too late to make planet Earth a better home for future generations!