On May 18th, ten-year-old Britton Janiec from Texas was rushed to the hospital when her mother turned in the backseat to find her choking on a piece of a fidget spinner.
“The toys were originally designed to help kids stop fidgeting and concentrate but some teachers say they’re becoming a major distraction in the classroom,” Elaine Taylor-Klaus, co-founder of ImpactADHD told CNN. Fidget spinners, not only a distraction in class but now a health hazard to children.
According to ABC News, Fidget spinners are driving many adults crazy, but one Texas woman is warning about her daughter’s dangerous experience.
Kelly Rose Janiec said, “She said she’d put part of the fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.”
According to ABC, Joniec wrote in her post, “Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.”
According to CNN, “[Her mother] pulled over and discovered that her daughter had swallowed one of the bearings from her fidget spinner. After trying to dislodge the small piece of metal with the Heimlich maneuver, Joniec took Britton to the nearest urgent care center.”
CBS news reported that the mother said, “Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth “ she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.”
Elaine Taylor-Klaus, co-founder of ImpactADHD told CNN, “For some people (with ADHD), there’s a need for constant stimulation,” she said. “What a fidget allows some people — not all people — with ADHD to do is to focus their attention on what they want to focus on, because there’s sort of a background motion that’s occupying that need,” Taylor-Klaus said.
Thankfully, Britton got the bearings out of her throat.
For future reference The US Consumer Product Safety Commission told CNN, “Anything with small parts, keep it away from young children. If it can fit through a toilet paper roll, don’t give it to a young child, and make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.”