Speech and Debate: California High School Speech Association State Championship Tournament

Jackalyn Diaz, Helix Life Editor

Nineteen Helix students qualified to go to the California High School Speech Association (CHSSA) State Championship Tournament. The tournament took place at Arcadia High School.

In order to qualify to go to the tournament, Students had to do well at the State Qualifying Tournament.

There are a variety of events at these tournaments. In some of events speakers prepare the speech in advanced, depending on the event that the individual is participating in they either write it themselves, or you take it from published work.

In other events, students are given certain amount of time to prepare then and there, then perform.

Sophomore Luke Babbitt,  who placed fourth in the event of  Dramatic Interpretation (DI) took a published play “The Women of Lockerbie” written by Deborah Brevoort.

The whole goal of a DI is to convey the emotions of the audience.

Babbitt explained that, “the lead up to this tournament was incredibly nerve-wracking and stressful, so when i finaled, it was incredibly validating. It made me realize that all the time and effort i put in, and all the hours I spent practicing my speech were worth it.”

Senior Rilyn Gardner also participated in the event of Dramatic Interpretation, where she placed second. She interpreted “ One small Boat”, a memoir by Kathy Harrison.

“ I wanted to pee myself but cry and jump for joy at the same time. I was so shocked, but proud of he work i had put in for the past four years in Speech”, Gardner said.

She even mentioned that just thinkin about it makes her excited.

Overall there were three finalists from Helix, Luke Babbitt, Rilyn Gardner and, Katrina Newman ( who placed first in Oratorical Interpretation). But as a School Helix took thirteenth place in the tournament.