The Preuss School ranked #1 in San Diego

Robert Resendiz, Photography Editor

The Preuss High School at UCSD was ranked the best high school in San Diego County, top 5 in California, 54th best nationallt, and top 15 Charter high school nationwide, reported by U.S. News and World Report on 2017.

What makes The Preuss School different from a typical high school is that it’s a charter middle and high school for low-income students who strive to become the first in their families to graduate from college, according to UCSD News.

“For more than 15 years, The Preuss School has offered students a pathway to college and the opportunity to transform their lives and the lives of those around them,” said UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla to San Diego Times. “We are proud to be recognized as one of the nation’s best high schools.”

Preuss School is located on the campus of the University of California San Diego chartered by the San Diego Unified School District and administered by UCSD.

ABC 10 News reported that UCSD said longer school days have helped with student success.

“A key tenet of the Preuss model is its commitment to longer learning time. Preuss students are in school longer each day and for 18 more days a year than the typical student in California, which adds up to almost an entire extra academic year over the course of their middle and high school careers,” the school officials said in a press release.

The Preuss School also received a Gold Award designation, established on performance consisting of state assessments, graduation rates and college preparation.

A ranking methodology was used to determine the nation’s “Best High Schools.” The steps looked at how well schools prepared all of their students, using benchmark performance on math and reading sections of state proficiency tests and graduation rates, according to U.S. News.

“We are honored to receive this national recognition, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our students as well as the educational model Preuss provides,” said Scott Barton, principal of The Preuss School to UCSD News.

The Preuss School continues to guide those who come from low-income backgrounds into a path of success.

As for Helix, U.S News and World Report ranked our school in the top 500 in the country.

“Helix Charter High School is ranked top 10 in charter schools, because of our performance on AP exam results,” according to Mr. Osborn, Helix’s Executive Director.