Dance The Night Away

Dance The Night Away

Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

Hip Hop Night at Helix was an event that promised an exciting, energetic dance show for the audience, and that promise was fulfilled.` The show ran from February 24 until February 25 at the Helix Performing Arts Center.

Helix has hosted many dance performances since the opening of the new Performing Arts building, such as the Winter Dance show, Spring Dance show, and the annual Hip-Hop Night.

Hip Hop Night is directed by the creative Helix dance teacher Mrs. Katie Pipes and choreographed by various choreographers, along with  DJ BodyRawk hosting the show.

Opening night brought a line out the door and past the building, the audience ready for an exciting performance from not only Helix’s dance team, but dance teams from various schools around the county and self-proclaimed dance groups as well.

The diversity of schools and forms of Hip-Hop kept the event creative, with Hip Hop performed through Tap dancing and children who could not be much older than 9-years-old.

Despite all dances based off Hip Hop, each dance performance was original in creativity and energetic remixes. The dancers seemed to absorb the music they were performing to, hitting every beat of the song that only drew more cheers from the crowd. It was hard to hide the energy given off from each performance as the music was in sync with every dance.

The night kicked off with a performance from Helix’s advanced dance team, opening with the song “Say I Won’t”. The opening performance set the high energy for the event as their opening performance was the first of many exciting dances.

“It was one of my favorite dance to learn,” Alisa Preciado says. Preciado, a member of Helix’s Advanced Dance, claims Hip-Hip is her favorite genre of dance, making the performance “even better and more exciting” for her.

The first act consisted of dance performances form Helix, Steele Canyon, La Mesa Arts Academy, Lemon Grove Academy, El Capitan, Patrick Henry, and a group called The Origin just to name a few.

“Everyone has their own style of dancing so it was cool to have so many different schools perform,” Preciado states.

There were also dances choreographed by students who performed their own piece such as Keep Up, choreographed by Helix Sophomore, Wilson Tam. It was hard to tell which performances were professionally choreographed and which ones weren’t  as all were creative and performed beautifully.

How impressed the audience was by just the first act was the welcoming sign that the rest of the event was worth the wait in line.

The second act featured performances from many of the previous dancers, including Valhalla, Point Loma, and Helix’s tap dancers.

The creativity and excitement from the first act never left the stage, as the second act proved they could live up to the first act’s success.

Tap combined Hip-Hop with a theatrical rivalry, with half the dancers acting as “jocks” while the other half performed as “nerds” in a tap-off, an original performance that ended with a rally of applause.

The show ended with all performers coming out on stage to perform once again a final dance piece, providing a unity between the groups through their passion: dance. It was a perfect way to end an exciting night.