Welcome to Riverdale

Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

Welcome to Riverdale; a show where the classic Archie comics meets a modern day teenage murder mystery.

The CW is known for their teenage dramas scoring high in ratings, such as One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, and Vampire Diaries, so it came as no shock when Riverdale premiered as one of the network’s top ten show premieres.

The murder mystery has done well with the audience, packing in an average of 2 million viewers per episode, an average rating for a new series in just its first season. It also brought back the old CW genre of shows, as recently they have found hits through their DC Comic superhero shows, such as Arrow and Flash, instead of their old teenage soap operas.

Riverdale revolves around a small town mystery murder of the most popular student at Riverdale High School, Jason Blossom, where only one person was there at the site of his death; his sister Cheryl. However, the audience is left wondering, was Cheryl really there the day of his death?

The show is loosely based on the Archie comic books which were originally published back in 1941. While the storyline of the show is much darker than the original comic books, most characters have stayed the same. There is the main character Archibald “Archie” Andrews (Kj Apa), and his friends Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse) , Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch), and the beautiful Veronica Lodge( Camila Mendes).

At first glance the show is a typical teenage drama with popular students, the jocks, the nerds, and the parents with secret pasts. However, the show proves it is much more. Each episode consists of dark twists in the murder mystery, and shows how each character is somehow connected to it.

The first episode introduces the mourning of Riverdale after the summertime murder of the beloved Jason Blossom and the connection of the murder to the characters, all narrated by Archie’s former best friend Jughead Jones.

Although, once Veronica Lodge appears back in her parent’s hometown after her father’s imprisonment, she immediately begins stirring up trouble in the small town that was thought to have been laid to rest back in the summer.

As the show progresses, most recently airing the sixth episode, the drama between the characters are risen through both lies and the truth. Conflicting child and parent relationships keep the show relatable while the mystery keeps the audience wanting to know more through scandals and revelations.

The show is just in its early stage of the series, but it already promises to keep the mystery alive.