March for Life

Ivan Jimenez, News Editor

On Jan, 27, optimism thrived in Washington D.C.’s annual March for Life. Legions of pro-life activists rallied at the National Mall in Washington D.C., a stark contrast to the previous week’s largely pro-choice Women’s March.

The yearly event, predominately frequented by Catholic and evangelical groups, took place on the 44th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, a Supreme Court decision which restricted state’s rights to regulate abortions.

This year, though, pro-lifers marched around an aura of optimism.

“With the administration that has promised pro-life policies being enacted there’s just a lot of hope and a lot of enthusiasm,” explained Jeanne Mancini, president of the March for Life, to USA Today.

The dawn of President Trump’s administration fosters optimism in pro-lifers who felt disillusioned with former President Obama’s adamant pro-choice agenda.

“We’ve seen one executive order after the other really not protecting the inherent dignity of the human person from conception to natural death. It’s a breath of relief, a breath of fresh air, for us to now have people who are wanting to forward pro-life policies,” Mancini continued.

President Trump’s new administration promises to be strictly anti-abortion. In one of his first executive orders, Trump instituted the Mexico City Policy which prohibits U.S. foreign aid from funding organizations which promote or perform abortions. He also vows to appoint a conservative, pro-lifer to the Supreme Court to replace former justice, Antonin Scalia’s seat (who was also an anti-abortion conservative), reports CNN.

The administration’s position was further affirmed with supporters at the March.

Vice President Mike Pence and Counselor to the President, Kellyanne Conway, were guest speakers.

“To heal our land and restore a culture of life we must continue to be a movement that embraces all, cares for all, and shows respect for the dignity and worth of every person.

And be assured, be assured, that along with you, we will not grow weary, we will not rest until we restore a culture of life in America for ourselves and our posterity,” the Vice President declared on USA Today.

In the March’s 44-year history, Pence is the highest ranking government official to ever attend, a significant omen of the administration’s priorities.

Vice President Mike Pence speaks at the March for Life

The March for Life also garnered some attention at Helix. While various students disagree with the March’s intentions, most respect the protester’s right to free speech.

“I don’t agree with them, but I respect their rights to protest,” said Ricardo Sandoval, a Helix sophomore.

Upperclassmen have their opinions, too.

“I think that people are allowed to express their opinions for certain topics. If you’re pro-life, that’s fine. I’m sure that there’s marches that other people do in favor of things that they don’t agree with, but we all have to accept that we have different views,” explained Nick Robles, a Helix Senior.

So as an old presidential administration fades and a new one unfolds, so does a fresh era of conservatism.

The March for Life is just the beginning.