Junior Proposals: Getting Ready for the Big Project

Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

As November begins, fall lingers in the air, for juniors at Helix, junior proposals are also lingering.

Nov. 8 marks a big deadline for Juniors as their proposals must be submitted before 3 p.m that day. The Junior proposal is the biggest step to begin a senior project, and may even be the most important assignment at Helix. The proposal includes the project steps, a justification as to why that certain senior project is effective, and the basics in planning a senior project. After the proposals are turned in, they will be graded and only when the project is approved can the student finally begin their project.

Michael Sissom, a junior currently in the process of creating his junior proposal, revealed that he has been preparing for the proposal since Freshman year.

“I’ve known about it since freshman year,” Sissom said with a shrug, “I’m ready for it.”

Sissom, whose senior project will be teaching French to younger students, revealed that  creating the proposal wasn’t a long process, thanks to the outline already given to the students.

“I really didn’t take that long to finish it. It was easy to fill in. I don’t know why everyone was stressing,” Sissom claimed with a laugh.

Despite how easy Sissom claimed the project to be, he did state the biggest problem he had was the project steps. He described his issue with creating the project steps was the uncertainty of the  amount of detail he should really put in there.

According to Emily Kowalski, a  U.S. History teacher who has been grading junior proposals for 9 years, project steps need a lot of detail.

Kowalski found that the biggest mistake students make when creating their proposals is that the students “don’t have enough detail” in their project steps.

“It requires a lot of breakdown in steps that [students] don’t realize they need,” Kowalski stated, specifically referring to the coaching proposals she is in charge of grading.

Kowalski believes the most helpful tip to give to juniors when creating their proposals is to repeatedly check the original outline.

However, continuing to check the outline is not the only tip juniors should take.

Amanda Dolphin, French teacher and Senior Project coordinator, has been advising the senior project since 2014. Along with Mrs. Trina Meredith, once the proposals are submitted they transfer each proposal into different categories according to the project’s reference, to be graded by other proposal graders. Being the coordinator, Dolphin has had a lot of experience with proposals and believes that the best way for a student to write a great proposal is to pay attention in advisory.

“We have created the advisory packet workbook where students can really learn in detail about each step,” Mrs. Dolphin described.

“So, really stay on top of your work, pay attention in advisory, and submit on time,” Dolphin suggested.

Although the proposal is due Nov. 8, Dolphin claimed there is still work to be done after the students have turned it in.

“That is not when the work is over, that is when the work actually begins,” Dolphin emphasized.

Usually when it’s too late, students find themselves with lack of interest in their project. Dolphin believes the best solution for that is to pick something that relates to their future career hopes.

“Picking something that is not something that they already know, but something they would like to know and kind of bridging that gap between your current understanding and growth to the next step in your life,” Dolphin concluded.

As Nov. 8 grows closer and closer, Juniors are not only reaching their due date but one major step that will lead to graduation.

Update:

After the deadline, it is reported there was an approximate 92% of Juniors who turned their proposals in on time.

About the Writer
Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

This is Chelsea's second year writing for, The Highland Fling. She is the Sports Editor and hopes to become a sports journalist in the future. Her stories...