New to Helix? Get Connected!

New to Helix? Get Connected!

Sofia Jacobo, Co-Editor in Chief

What helps students adjust to a new school?

Starting a new school can be traumatizing and can result negatively when a student does not adjust properly. However, with the right mindset high school can be a breeze.  

Although one may become overwhelmed at the beginning of high school, as time progresses, students grow accustomed to the routine.

It is no lie that the majority of students are overwhelmed starting highschool, but, joining extracurricular activities helps adjust to a new school.

One piece of advice is to“take advantage of any opportunities,” said Arica Villegas, counselor for the class of 2017.

“It’ll make them feel connected,” and helps them “get to know people and make them feel more at home on campus,” stated Villegas.

Getting involved gives students a sense of the Helix community.  Studies show involvement on campus, can also positively affect your academics.

According to the Website E Learning Infographics, over 68% of students who participated in extracurricular activities were expected to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher. Studies also show that participants excelled in the SAT verbal scores.

Not only does joining an extracurricular activity help achieve academic greatness, but social connectedness as well.

Extracurriculars helps students learn life skills that will leave you with an advantage in life,it also builds teamwork, and, self discipline.

On Aug. 3, 2016 the Medina family began their journeys as  Scotties.

The three siblings, Dulce, Manuel and Luis all transferred to Helix from various schools. The family came from Morelia, which is the capital of the Mexican state Michoacan.This year marks their first year in America.

They range in various grade levels. Dulce is the oldest and is currently a senior, while Manuel,  is a junior and finally, the youngest of the family, Luis, is a sophomore.  

The vast move was sparked by a personal family situation. Although the Medina family faced the situation of attending a new school hundreds of miles away from their home town, they quickly adjusted to the situation with the help of sports. The family became athletically involved in multiple sports, including cross country, wrestling, and swim.

“Cross country [helped me] socialmente y fisicamente,”which translates to “socially and physically,” said Luis.

Manuel claims Cross Country helped him physically and emotionally.

Although sports helped them adjust, school is still a foreign place. Not only is the language a major change in schooling, but so is the school system itself.

“Los estudios [the studies] are better here,” stated Dulce.

Not only is the education different here, but at Helix,  “aquí hay más apoyo, programas y deportes,” which translates to, “there are more support, programs and sports,” said Manuel.

Both Luis and Manuel seemed generally happy talking about the effect of changing schools.

“Mi persona, mi mentalidad [me, my mentality] ,” responded Luis to the effects of changing schools.

His brother, Manuel, had a similar answer when he said, “Mi personalidad, mi capacidad y pues ahora se mas o menos dos idiomas,” which translates to, “my personality, my capacity and now I kind of know two languages.”

This is just one example of the positive outcomes of being involved in school, receiving more than an education. There are many advantages to joining extracurriculars including receiving a scholarship, showing college’s your involvement in school and staying fit.

After all, they do say “high school is the best four years of you.”