Filed under Sports

NBA Trade Deadline Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

NBA Trade Deadline Recap

Photo via ClutchPoints

Photo via ClutchPoints

Photo via ClutchPoints

Photo via ClutchPoints

Feb. 7 was the NBA Trade Deadline, which is the last chance for teams to improve their club through a trade.

The major headline going into the day as if the Lakers were going to trade for Anthony Davis after he requested a trade the week before through his agent, Rich Paul. There were rumors that the Lakers were interested in the New Orleans Pelicans’ Davis, as they tried to trade New Orleans Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, and three first-round draft picks.

Photo via Yahoo

The Pelicans ended up keeping Davis because they would rather wait until the off-season to see if teams with more talent like the Boston Celtics would be interested, and if that were the case Kyrie Irving would be one of the pieces being moved to the Pelicans.

There were some trades that happened despite Davis staying put. The Memphis Grizzlies have not had a good season, to say the least, so they traded Marc Gasol to the Toronto Raptors.

The Philadelphia 76ers were the most active team on Trade Deadline Day. They traded former #1 pick Markelle Fultz to the Orlando Magic. Fultz never panned out to be a great fit with Philadelphia, as he had some injuries and could not seem to get comfortable there.

Then, Philadelphia made a blockbuster trade, acquiring Tobias Harris from the Los Angeles Clippers for Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, a 2021 second round pick, and another second-round pick two years later in 2023.

Photo via Philly Voice

This is a great trade for the 76ers because they now get another great defensive player along with players like Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, and Jimmy Butler.

The final big trade of the day was a surprise. The Sacramento Kings seem to be trying to make a playoff push, as they traded Justin Jackson and Zach Randolph to the Dallas Mavericks for Harrison Barnes.

Barnes has playoff experience, as he was a starter for the Golden State Warriors when they won the NBA Finals in 2015.

“Deadline Day” was another huge day for teams wanting to get better, and for some making it clear that they want to get a lottery pick this season.

About the Writer
Ben Fadden, Staff Writer

Ben is a sophomore and first time staff writer. When he’s not writing, he’s on the baseball field. With his passion for sports, he hopes to become...