The Vaping Epidemic and Teens

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Vaping Epidemic and Teens

Health problems and social issues. Teenagers smoking electronic cigarette in park

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

“E-cigarettes are now the most frequently used tobacco product among adolescents,” according to Katherine Martinelli, from the Child Mind Institute. In fact, teen vaping has been a recent discussion at Helix Charter High School, where supposedly staff have installed vaping detectors across campus bathrooms to be alerted when teens are smoking.

According to an anonymous student, “Vaping for me is an escape, and everyone is doing it so why not?”

Vaping is just as harmful as smoking a regular cigarette; although it may contain less nicotine, it still damages the lungs and can cause severe addiction and high blood pressure.

In the article, “5 Truths You Need To Know About Vaping” John Hopkins Medicine states that, “ many e-cigarette users get even more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — you can buy extra-strength cartridges, which have a higher concentration of nicotine, or you can increase the e-cigarette voltage.”

Vaping can be toxic and cause many side effects, but what’s worse is that teenagers are starting when they’re young and continuing a harmful habit throughout their whole life.

It starts with a regular hit or inhale, but can turn into a life struggle.

Teenagers might not understand the consequences right now or listen to adults, but in the future, they’re going to thank them for trying to stop this potential addiction.

Photo via Time Magazine

Teenagers and adolescents can get away with vaping at school, as it looks like a common USB device.

The JUUL company has surpassed $10 billion evaluation and is becoming one of the top companies out there in a short amount of time. Teenagers are becoming more and more attracted to vaping, juuling, and even smoking weed due to the group acceptance and pressure from peers.  Even if they don’t like it, most teenagers will go back to it just because their friends are doing it. They don’t see the consequences right now but when it hits in the form of lung cancer or major loss of brain cells, they will know that it was due to smoking.

Dr. Pamela Ling, a professor at the University of California, San Francisco says that “the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is showing a 78% increase in youth vaping between 2017 and 2018.”

Helix Charter High School staff are trying to prevent their students from smoking and vaping.

Related image

Photo via Patch

According to Danielle Yee, a Social Worker in the Helix Wellness Center, “ Vaping is just one more way for the cigarette companies to get kids addicted to nicotine.” She adds, “it’s bad for your brain, and if you’re addicted now, you’re still going to be addicted in the future.” 

Due to the fact that teenagers are becoming addicted and it is becoming a bigger issue at Helix High and other high schools around the country, educators are becoming more rigorous about the subject and implementing zero-tolerance policies for smoking to improve the lives of teenagers.