Filed under Helix Life, Showcase

Helix Seniors Take Political Action

In a time of political chaos and confusion, and with the 2018 midterms rapidly approaching, many active high schoolers may feel as though they are not playing a big enough role.

With the assistance of Political Science Teachers Mr. Berg and Mr. Geary, Helix partners with a company called Inspire U.S. to “get out the vote.” Inspire U.S. is a strictly nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that specializes in registering high schoolers to vote. The program currently serves high schoolers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. 

Photo via Inspire USA.

Berg noted that Helix has, “registered students on-and-off over the years,” but they only began working with Inspire last year.

He recognizes that if students are going to have a say in society, “they at least need to take the first step, which is registering [to vote].” Berg hopes that by streamlining the process during class time, seniors will be more motivated to complete the paperwork without the inevitable procrastination setting in.

You only have to be 16 to pre-register to vote in the state of California. Pre-registration means that you must follow the necessary protocols of voter registration and, upon your 18th birthday, you will be automatically added to voting rolls and be eligible to vote in the next election.

For the Helix underclassman population and the pre-teens of America though, voting may not yet be a viable option.

However, voting, according to Mr. Berg, is just a small way to be involved in politics. “Even more powerful,” he says, “is picking up the phone and calling your representative if you have a viewpoint on a certain topic.” He emphasizes that there is power in numbers, whether that be in phone calls or protests.

The 2018 American midterm elections will take place this year on Nov. 6. In La Mesa, seats are up for grabs on the City Council and La Mesa-Spring Valley School Board. Nationwide, members of the House of Representatives and Senate chambers are up for re-election.

If you will be 18 by election day and have not yet registered to vote, visit this page to do so today. The last day to register is Oct. 6 (by mail, online, or in person), so don’t waste any time!

About the Writer
Sadie Neville, Co-Editor in Chief

Sadie is a senior at Helix and a third-year member of The Highland Fling team.This is her second year as Co-Editor-in-Chief. Aside from writing, Sadie is captain of the varsity field hockey team and is passionate about her involvement in local politics. In her (scarce) free time, she loves hanging out and exploring San Diego with her friends – while wearing her Crocs.

1 Comment

One Response to “Helix Seniors Take Political Action”

1. Onlinepharmacybusinessmodel on September 29th, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks finally for iOS 11.2.1online pharmacy business model

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Humor: My Case Against the Pumpkin Spice Latte

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Students Rush to Campus Clubs

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Dawn Breaks on Year Four: Senior Sunrise 2018

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Edge Lab Welcomes Helix Makers

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Helix Gym Undergoes Renovation

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Prioritizing Mental Health for Academic Success

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Forget Rankings & Statistics: What to Really Consider in a College

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Summer 2018: The Realistic Version

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Humor: Why I Simply Hate Moose.

• Helix Seniors Take Political Action

Helix Life

Seniors of The Highland Fling

Helix Seniors Take Political Action