Filed under A&E, Showcase

The Importance of Being Awkward: “Eighth Grade” Film Review

Middle school. One of the most excruciatingly awkward times in so many of our lives, a collective experience that feels so alone. It is something that most of us would prefer to never go through again but are forced to in the film, Eighth Grade, an incredibly raw and relatable story of yesteryear struggle. 

Released on July 13th, Eighth Grade is Bo Burnham’s first film as both director and writer, and it has already amassed a huge fan base possibly due to its 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Elsie Fisher, who plays Kayla in the movie Photo Via: IndieWire

It tells the story of eighth-grader Kayla, played by Elsie Fisher, as she navigates her last week of middle school. Kayla is painfully shy and insecure when interacting in school, to the extent that she is named the “most quiet” as her school superlative. Her only outlet is Youtube, where she makes videos giving life advice that she attempts to use herself.

The main character, Kayla, struggles with social anxiety, which she attempts to cope with by making Youtube videos Photo via: The Federalist

Burnham used a real middle school to film, showing real teachers and students, and hired actors that are either currently in middle school or have just gone through it themselves. It’s refreshing to see film characters who actually look the age they’re playing, something that is so important, as it helps quell the unrealistic physical expectations that today’s teens face.

Watching the film is painful…but that’s the point. Audiences are dragged into Kayla’s story, and can feel the discomfort she feels, can sympathize with her romantic endeavors, and may even want to help her with her social anxiety and panic attacks, which helps to raise important awareness of mental health topics, especially in the context of adolescence. 

What’s significant about this film is that it isn’t a story of someone changing from unpopular and unhappy to popular and happy. Instead, it tells the story of someone becoming more of who they truly are, and finding happiness without modifying themselves so that they look like every other popular teenage character.

Because hey, maybe awkward middle schoolers deserve love, too.

Writer/director Bo Burnham and Elsie Fisher on set of the movie Photo Via: The Consequence of Sound.

About the Writer
Grace Fields, News Editor
Grace Fields is a second year Staff Writer for,The Highland Fling and a first year News Editor. She is a senior, runs varsity track and field, and plays violin outside of school. Grace enjoys traveling, listening to music, and cuddling with her dog, a vest-wearing chihuahua named Andrew. In the future, she hopes to live...