Train and Hall & Oates Take Viejas Arena

Hall & Oates and Train's concert in San Diego

Nicole Boulter, Staff Writer

Over the years, I’ve found that the best experiences are shared with a group, as the energy from others washes over you and enhances your own experience. Of all these experiences, there’s nothing quite like a concert.

On August 4th, I went to the Hall & Oates and Train concert at the Viejas Arena. The concert started at 7 p.m. with R&B singer Kandace Springs as the opening act.

Train came on first.

Train was founded in 1993 in San Francisco, achieving mainstream success in 1998 with the release of their debut album, Train. Lead singer Patrick Monahan is the only original band member remaining. Train has been nominated for eight Grammy’s and won three.

They started with the song “Drink Up.”

Monahan was particularly energetic, having the crowd sing along for parts, such during as his cover of “Black Dog.” He threw out balls for the crowd to bounce around and even gave away concert shirts, one of which was signed, and ended his set with “Hey, Soul Sister” and “Drops of Jupiter.”

You can’t deny Monahan knew how to involve a crowd.

Then, it was time for Hall & Oates to take the stage.

Now, for those students who don’t listen to their parent’s or grandparent’s records (most of you, I’m assuming), let me catch you up to speed.

Daryl Hall and John Oates are a music duo that started in 1970, but did not become mainstream until 1975 with their fourth album, Daryl Hall & John Oates. Their songs were a mix of styles, but primarily rock and roll. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014, and are still producing music today. With an estimated 40 million records sold, they are the best selling music duo in history.

They started with their hit song “Maneater.” Based on how many people were standing and singing along, I’d say at least half the crowd were fans.

They played many of their hits, a cover of “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” and “Is it a Star” from their obscure third album War Babies.

Train’s Monahan came back to the stage to sing with them for their new song “Philly Forget Me Not,”  “Wait For Me,” and Train’s “Calling All Angels.” Charles DeChant played one of his signature long sax solos during “I Can’t Go for That,” and they ended the set with “Private Eyes,” for which most people clapped along.

Hall was just the slightest bit hoarse that night, but he was still wonderful. This wasn’t all that surprising considering that this was the fourth-to-last concert on the nearly four-month tour. Hall isn’t as energetic as Monahan, but he was no less enthralling.

Overall, it was a spectacular show.

About the Contributor
Nicole Boulter, Staff Writer
Nikki is a Senior and first time Staff Writer for, The Highland Fling. An avid reader, she has been part of the Helix Harry Potter club all four years at Helix. She loves animals, but is a cat lady more than anything. Nikki prefers writing about books or movies. You will soon see Nikki editing-...