Beyoncé Invests in College Students

Noemi Picazo, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Beyoncé may have given a life-changing performance during the opening weekend of Coachella, but she is also giving a life-changing opportunity to students at historically Black colleges and universities.

Through her BeyGood initiative, Beyoncé will be awarding a grand total of $100,000 to four HBCU’s: Xavier, Wilberforce, Tuskegee and Bethune-Cookman Universities.

Each college will receive a $25,000 academic scholarship to award one student of their choice.

So far, no winners have been announced, but surely all eligible students are collectively screaming “Say My Name” in hopes they win.

Last week, the BeyGood initiative also announced the launch of the Homecoming Scholars Award Program which will continue to grant scholarships to students in the coming 2018-2019 school year.

As she paid tribute to these colleges at Coachella, the singer’s considerable donation has reignited interest in American Black culture and created shockwaves of excitement to students attending those schools.”

Cierra Johnson, a senior at Xavier University, told The Washington Post that “Even over finals, it’s what everyone has been talking about. All my friends were gushing over it.”

To clarify for anyone who may have missed what the big deal is, not only has Beyoncé financially assisted students of HBCUs, but she’s simultaneously boosting enrollment and spreading awareness about the Universities themselves.

“She’s getting the message out there that HBCUs are vital,” said Xavier president, C. Reynold Verret, who also told The Washington Post that “the BeyGood initiative will send an important message to the young African-American community that “HBCUs are out here doing excellent work and should be looking at these schools.”

Sadly, behind every good deed a celebrity does, there is someone obnoxiously screaming “But you can do so much more!”

In this case, critiques who have probably never heard of BeyGood, or even American Red Cross for that matter, were the first ones to express their “constructive” opinions.

A typical twitter troll basically remarked that Beyonce isn’t benevolent enough: “Let’s see, Beyonce’s net worth is how much? Just under $400 million. And she donates how much? $100,000. She can, no, should do more. Just saying.”

In actuality, anyone with student loans or half a brain knows that big or small, Beyoncé’s donation is much appreciated; and not to mention that Beyoncé is already highly philanthropic.

According to BeyGood initiative, in celebration of the one-year anniversary of LEMONADE, Beyoncé launched The Formation Scholars Awards Program, a merit scholarship program established in April 2017, that awards encouraged and supported young women who are bold, creative, conscious, confident and unafraid to think outside of the box.

Beyoncé at the “GET OUT THE VOTE” performance.

Furthermore, Beyoncé has organized BEYGOO4BURUNDI with UNICEF USA in 2017 to support programs to improve water, sanitation and basic hygiene practices in the hardest-to-reach areas of Burundi, where nearly half the population had no access to safe water.

Considering these philanthropic efforts, anyone bashing the number of zeros on the gracious checks is standing on an already disintegrated platform.

Despite the associated negative comments, the real fans know Beyoncé is in no way obligated to single-handedly pay the tuition of every student or fix issues in third-world countries, and yet she makes an effort to do so anyway, because, in the grand scheme of things, the purpose of philanthropy is to inspire other people to give and continue to move the needle.

About the Writer

This is Noemi’s first year as Arts & Entertainment editor. She is loud, short, and in love with Disney. Noemi also moonlights as a professional laugher who’s usually listening to music and oversharing on instagram @noemianalise.