SDSU Pursues New Stadium

Sydney Torres, Staff Writer

35,000 seats, 106,134 signatures, and 250 million dollars. SDSU has recently released plans for their new stadium, which they are hoping will be opened by 2022. The new stadium will be replacing the SDCCU stadium located in mission valley.

http://advancement.sdsu.edu/missionValley/www/images.html

After the Chargers moved to Los Angeles, the SDCCU stadium, (formally known as Qualcomm) has seen a huge decrease in business. The city plans on closing it at the end of 2018, but nobody is sure who will be paying to tear it down.

SDSU hopes to be able to turn the 50-year-old stadium into a 35,000 seat multi-use stadium. The stadium will host multiple sports like college football, soccer, rugby, lacrosse, and championships games for soccer. The seating is designed for the best sighting of rectangular sports like the ones previously mentioned. The stadium is also designed to expand with an additional 20,000 seats should the NFL ever return to San Diego. Seats include club seating, luxury seating, movable field loge boxes, and “drink rails”.

SDSU Director of Athletics John David Wicker says, “Part of any great university is a great athletic department and to be able to build a football stadium that allows us to further Aztec Football will only raise our profile as an athletic department and university.”

The architect in charge of the design is Scott Radecic, representing the Populous Architecture Firm. The firm has been in charge of over 2,000 architecture projects worldwide, including Yankee Stadium and the London Olympic Center.

Apart from the stadium, the land will also be used as a campus expansion. The expansion will include a 90 acre River Park with four miles of hiking and bike trails; 4,500 units of housing for students, faculty and public; as well as 90,000 sq ft of retail for game day activities; 1.6 million sq ft of campus tech office space; and lastly, access to the trolley, including the new purple line.

Though people have high hopes for the stadium, and since it would be a real benefit to the community, sadly it’s not yet SDSU’s for the taking. Architect Nick Stone had designed Soccer-city and is also wanting to get a hold of the spot.

Soccer-city plans on having 800 units of housing, as well as 55 acres of parkland and a new sports and entertainment district. The only thing is that the stadium will be used only for soccer. It is not multi-purpose.

Voting will take place this November, so San Diegan’s can determine whose ideas they think will be the best for the community.

For more information, click here.

To watch the design video, click here.