Helix Students are Making it Work…at Work

Juggling academics, a social life, and a job isn't easy

Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

High schoolers know first hand just how difficult it can be to juggle a social life and academics- but try adding a job to the mix!

Some students on Helix’s campus have made it work for them through determination and time management.

16 is the average minimum age requirement for teenagers to be eligible for a job at places like fast food restaurants, entertainment buildings, and retail stores.

However, if a student is under 18, they are only allowed to work if they fit the requirements of a work permit. Permit requirements include the student being 16 or 17, the student not working past 10 P.M. on a school night, the student maintaining a decent GPA with good attendance.

But there is another option on campus that is more flexible with students regarding their hours worked, known as “work experience.”

Oriana Moore, a senior at Helix, who has been working at Albertsons since 2016, says she originally had a basic work permit but felt, “the work experience would be more beneficial” for her.

“The basic work permit is kind of limiting,” Moore explains, “And the work experience lets me work more hours which I had been wanting to do for a long time.”

Moore works as a courtesy clerk/cashier at Albertsons and is scheduled an average of 30-35 hours a week. Despite her late night shifts and weekends often spent at work, Moore still finds time to have a social life and keep up with her grades. Since Moore is now 18, she no longer needs a permit.

“I get exhausted at times, but I really want to work, so I do it,” Moore describes, “I could be lazy and be failing at school or be doing bad [sic] at work, but I want it all so I just deal with it.”

Wanting it also applies to senior Jordan Walters, who works at Chick-Fil-A.

Walters explains that while maintaining a good academic status and working can be “draining,” he makes time for both.

“I know that if I am working late and won’t be able to finish my homework, I’ll do it at school or before I leave to work.”

Compared to Moore who works every weekend, due to Chick-Fil-A’s staying closed every Sunday for religious reasons, Walters’ Monday’s aren’t as affected.

“I still hate Monday’s, but at least I didn’t have to work the day before,” Walters jokes.

Although Walters and Moore have different work experiences, as one is working at a grocery store and one at a fast food chain restaurant, they both agree on one thing- adults don’t understand.

“An adult goes to their job and afterward goes home and either takes care of someone else or just themselves,” Moore states, “but it’s like us [sic] students have two jobs at only 16.”

Walters agreed, stating that unless an adult has more than two jobs, it’s hard for them to relate to him.

“I wish teachers understood better how stressed students with jobs can be,” when it comes to expectations, Walters explains.

It seems only a student who has a job can understand the struggle of a peer who also deals with the same stress, but Oriana Moore and Jordan Walters prove that one’s social life and academic status can be maintained along with a job- you just need a little dedication.

About the Writer
Chelsea Nunez, Sports Editor

This is Chelsea's second year writing for, The Highland Fling. She is the Sports Editor and hopes to become a sports journalist in the future. Her stories...