Safety in Schools at the Forefront of National Discussion

Dougherty, Brian

Dougherty, Brian

Jenny Brotherton, Staff Writer

Safety in schools has always been a topic of concern in America, but with the recent events such as the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, the discussion has become even more tense.

The majority of staff, students, and family members have begun to progressively fear for their safety in their learning environments.

The escalated stress to make schools safer has sparked motivation for people to advocate action with preventative measures such as gun control. As of Wednesday, lawmakers in Florida passed a bill on gun control, although the National Rifle Association has been arguing against limitations.

According to The New York Times, “The legislation, which passed the State Senate on Monday and now heads to the governor, would raise the minimum age to purchase any firearm to 21 from 18; impose a three-day waiting period on gun purchases; fund school police officers and mental health counselors; and allow local school districts and sheriffs to arm certain school personnel. It would also ban so-called bump stocks, which make guns fire faster, and give law enforcement more power to commit people deemed a threat.”

As stated on the Safe Supportive Learning website, “School safety is defined as schools and school-related activities where students are safe from violence, bullying, harassment, and substance use.” However with the rise of violence and brutality lots of schools are not necessarily viewed as a safe place. According to CNBC, there have already been 17 school shootings in the U.S. in 2018.

In this disarray, school administrators are trying to provide a sense of security. The CDC, Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, says, “While our nation’s schools are expected to be, and usually are, safe havens for learning, unintentional injuries and even violence can occur, disrupting the educational process and negatively affecting the school and surrounding community.”

These traumatic events, and the threat of them, have an impact on our communities and societies as whole, not just students and teachers.

The National School Board Association states, “The primary responsibility of every school district is to ensure a safe and secure environment for students.” Hopefully with the amount of attention these issues have been receiving, more action will be taken to prevent them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Safety in Schools at the Forefront of National Discussion”

1. kqvn on March 21st, 2018 7:49 pm

We are certainly being overloaded with violence and military, but these so called mass shootings are all state sponsored false flag events to try to get the people to demand total gun control. Too many people are on the their game so it is not working. They can”t think a new thought so they keep trying with another and yet another mass shooting. There is always endless MSM drama with the paid actors putting on some pretty pathetic performances, same actors starring in mass shooting after mass shooting. When there really is a shooting and people get killed, it is not a lone gunman and multiple shooters are always reported, even if that doesn”t become the official story. That is not to say that children aren”t being affected by all the violence, they surely are, but it is not resulting in these mass shootings. Our problem is State sponsored terror, we need only fear the state and its ulterior motives not each other.

[Reply]

• Safety in Schools at the Forefront of National Discussion

News

Adobe Fire Hits Del Cerro

News

An End to the Korean War

News

What’s Hot in Hawaii: The Latest on the Volcanic Activity

News

The Suspense in Syria

News

Grab-and-Go with Amazon

News

Houston Teen Admitted to 20 Colleges with Full-Ride Scholarship

News

Community College: A Worthwhile Option for Graduates

News

SDSU Pursues New Stadium

News

Mueller Probe Incarcerates First

News

Daylight Savings 2018