How to Cope with Finals

Finals can be stressful - here’s a few tips to help.

Cassondra Flanery, Staff Writer

With finals coming up, stress about grades and students’ futures is abundant. WebMD reports that colleges are, “seeing a generation of students…[with] increased signs of depression and anxiety.”

photo via Psychologist World

Each year, younger children experience extreme signs of stress regarding their schoolwork. Experts say that school stress takes a dangerous toll on too many.

However, there are ways to get down to business and do well on finals without the breakdowns and lack of sleep.

Time Management

To start, time management is the most important way to decrease stress. Making a mental schedule of things you need to do, things you want to do, and how much time you have for them allows you to think ahead of time. During any free time you have, prioritize your hardest classes before your easiest ones. Make sure to review past homework as a study tool!

photo via One Little Project

Eat a Healthy Breakfast

Eating well is proven to increase memory, while not eating at all decreases concentration. Some quick, easy ideas are yogurt and fruit, whole grain cereal, and avocado toast. If you don’t have enough time in the morning, make smoothies the night before to grab on your way out.

Take Breaks from Studying

Cramming in the days before the test doesn’t work as well as studying in shorter increments, such as 20-30 minutes. Taking breaks between study sessions increases productivity and makes studying seem like less of a chore.

Put Your Phone in Another Room

Even with the ringer off, resisting checking your notifications can be extremely difficult. Putting your phone in another room while you study is very helpful.

photo via Quora

Get Enough Sleep

Finally, getting low levels of sleep is one way to make sure your stress levels go up. Getting 8 hours of sleep a night leading up to finals will leave you feeling rested and ready to take on those tests.