Lady Doritos Feed Stereotypes

Valerie Arevalos, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Word has spread through social media about the infamous “Lady Doritos” Pepsi Co. is planning to launch…but what exactly are they and how are they different from regular Doritos?

According to Indra Nooyi, Chief Executive of Pepsi Co. (which owns Frito-Lay, Dorito’s manufacturer), they are looking into launching special female-specific chips: “low-crunch, the full taste profile, not have so much of the flavor stick on the fingers, and how can you put it in a purse? Because women love to carry a snack in their purse.”

Not only did Nooyi dig herself into a hole of gender/sexist stereotypes (one that women have been fighting years to minimize), but she makes assumptions about the way women eat that caused havoc in several sources of social media– especially Twitter.

“[Women] don’t like to crunch too loudly in public,” she told the Freakonomics Radio Podcast, “they don’t lick their fingers generously, and they don’t like to pour the little broken pieces and the flavor into their mouth.”

Taking marketing into consideration, however, The Washington Post makes a good point when suggesting that “PepsiCo isn’t developing a product based only on sexism. PepsiCo is developing a product based on real-life behaviors that are themselves based on sexism.”

Despite the badly bruised ego of brave women with real economic changes in mind (like that of equal pay), big companies like PepsiCo can overlook how “wrong” it is, in order to sell their product based on the unfortunate state of our nation – “to do that, they have to figure out what consumers want,” The Washington Post states, “and if women (or moviegoers, or anyone averse to orange fingers) want a less loud, less messy chip, it seems unreasonable to tell PepsiCo not to provide it.”

No matter the reasoning behind such a ludicrous product, women are not impressed by Lady Doritos, as it only adds to the list of America’s lack of value in individuals and their greed for consumption.