The Shape of Water is a Must-See

Rosalie Weas, Staff Writer

The American fantasy drama film directed by Guillermo del Toro and written by del toro and Vanessa Taylor, was released August 31, 2017 at the 74th Venice International film festival but was released to major theaters December 8, 2017.

The film stars Elisa Esposito played by Sally Hawkins, she is a mute janitor who works in a science laboratory in Baltimore during the early 1960’s. Esposito quickly becomes personally involved with an experiment at the lab, this leads the heroine into a greater trouble down the line.

The film received the title of one of the top 10 films of the year by, The American Film Institute. It also was nominated for 13 Academy Awards, including Best picture, Best director, and Best original screenplay. It also won the Gold Lion for best film when entered in the 74th Venice International film festival.

The well-executed film including many different stylistic methods that made it stand out from other movies in theaters today, it drew inspiration from films of the past, such as “The Creature of the Black Lagoon” and del toro’s own childhood memories. Del toro told Indiewire, “This movie is a healing movie for me. … For nine movies I rephrased the fears tof my childhood, the dreams of my childhood, and this is the first time I speak as an adult, about something that worries me as an adult.”

Ben Croll, writer for IndieWire, gave the film an A and called it “one of del Toro’s most stunningly successful works… also a powerful vision of a creative master feeling totally, joyously free.” The site, “Rotten Tomatoes,” gave the film an approval rating of 92% based on 328 reviews.

This quirky film is a must-see for all movie lovers. The compelling performances and the captivating directory makes this film unlike others.

About the Writer
Rosalie Weas, Staff Writer

Rosalie is a sophomore at Helix and is excited to write for, The Highland Fling. She is a spunky girl who likes weird music. Urban dictionary describes her as, “-sweet, smart, compassionate, caring and funny.”  Rosalie has been speaking french for nine years. She values good movies and spending time with friends. On the weekends you can find her supporting local bands.