2018 Superbowl Commercials

Sydney Torres, Staff Writer

The time has come for another big showdown between the best two NFL teams of the year. But for companies, it’s time to create commercials that everyone will remember long after the trophy has been awarded and the chip bowl emptied.

A surprising win for the Eagles in the game is what most people will be talking about; however, even more, surprising is the cost of a 30-second commercial. At about 5 million dollars for every 30 seconds, big companies are spending large sums of money to get a chance to advertise during the Superbowl.Image result for super bowl commercials 2018

This year many companies took the route of inspirational messages in their advertisements.

Coca Cola’s “The Wonder of Us,” talks about diversity, sharing the message that we are all unique and different. By saying that there is a Coke for all of us, it shows that even though we are different, we can all still be equal.

But Coke was not the only one to stress that everyone is equal. Pepsi encouraged everyone to show their true colors by comparing each generation. Throughout time, there have been many changes in ages, but Pepsi has always been there. From Cindy Crawford to Britney Spears, Pepsi is celebrating every generation.

And while we are on the topic of soda, let’s not forget Mountain Dew. While advertising their new Ice: Lemon Lime soda, they came across a little competition: Doritos’ new Blaze chips. It’s up to Morgan Freeman and Peter Dinklage to decide the victor…with a rap war. Whose side are you on?

Moving on to another salty snack, Pringles introduces a new way to eat chips. Stacking different flavors to combine, this is something to “Wow!” about. And to make matter sweeter, the Red M&M finally gets his wish – he now never has to worry about others eating him again. Watch as Danny DeVito shows the power of the lucky penny.

With the Winter Olympics only a few days away, the Winter Olympians show the best of U.S. through their stories. Alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin shows major girl power, and tells viewers to “Always be faster than the boys.” Meanwhile, snowboarders Shaun White and Chloe Kim share their trials and failures, reminding us the importance of family and perseverance. Paralympic alpine skier Lauren Woolstencroft defies all odds to become the 8x gold medal-winner she is today. Watch all the athletes come together, letting people know “This is Me.”

Image result for super bowl commercials 2018

The Super Bowl also featured some new movies and TV shows that are to be coming out this year. These include Skyscraper, A Quiet Place, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Mission: Impossible- Fallout, Avengers: Infinity War, Dundee, Red Sparrow, Annihilation, and Solo. TV shows include season 2 of The Cloverfield Paradox, Rise, and Westworld.

Avocados from Mexico reminded us that “avocados taste good on lots of things.” Amazons famous Alexa loses her voice. Kia urges us to dream on. And T-mobile talks about solving the many problems of the world through the next generation.

Overall about 45 companies presented almost an hour’s worth of commercials. That’s a lot of ads!

So, are the commercials more important than who wins the game? You be the judge. To watch all the commercials click here.