Government Shutdown

Alyssa Yubac, Staff Writer

Three weeks into the new year, on Jan. 20, 2018 at midnight EST, the United States government shutdown. The shutdown ended on Monday Jan. 22nd. A government shutdown is when the government fails to pass legislation funding government operations and agencies.

The government held “arguments” on the extension of status for people who are affected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, immigration policy and if those who are part of the program should be deported.

Another factor to the shutdown was funding, would be distributed to building a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico; which was one of President Donald Trump’s key points during his presidential campaign.

During the shutdown, more than 800,000 government employees were sent on a shutdown furlough. According to USA TODAY, It’s like an unpaid vacation where employees don’t know when they’ll be able to go back to work. Not all staff gets sent home; police officers, most of the FBI, and border patrol officers still work as usual.

National parks, zoos, museums, and monuments were also put on shutdown. This means that if you’re at any of those national areas, you have to leave.

Luckily, post offices and airports remained open during the shutdown. Students on free and reduced lunch were still able to eat for free. Social Security checks were still distributed to the eligible elderly and the military still got paid.

Unluckily, the indecisive president and senators still get paid even though they couldn’t come to an agreement.

On Jan. 22, the government reopened. According to CNN, “Democrats gave into Republican demands to reopen the government.” The press secretary read a statement from President Trump at a press conference.

This full statement reads as follows:

“Senate Democrats own the Schumer Shutdown. Tonight, they put politics above our national security, military families, vulnerable children, and our country’s ability to serve all Americans. We will not negotiate the status of unlawful immigrants while Democrats hold our lawful citizens hostage over their reckless demands. This is the behavior of obstructionist losers, not legislators. When Democrats start paying our armed forces and first responders we will reopen negotiations on immigration reform. During this politically manufactured Schumer Shutdown, the President and his Administration will fight for and protect the American people.”

After seeing how the shutdown affected the US, hopefully the government will be more willing to come to a conclusion on important topics.