Amtrak Carrying GOP Members Hits Garbage Trucks


Valerie Arevalos, Arts and Entertainment Editor

On Jan. 31, 2018, an Amtrak train carrying Republican lawmakers collided with a garbage truck in Crozet, Virginia. Only one person has been reported dead, six have been injured, but none of the Congress members nor their families were seriously injured.

The GOP lawmakers were on their way to West Virginia to an annual party conference, reported The Washington Post.

None of the dozens of members of Congress aboard the train, or their accompanying family members and aides, were among the seriously injured. The person who died was one of three men in the disposal truck that had entered the railroad crossing,” stated the Washington Post, “He was identified as Christopher Foley, 28, of Louisa County, by Albemarle County Police who said he was a truck passenger.”

Politicians almost immediately referred to Twitter to announce the accident, as well as their state concerning injuries.

“I know we’re all a little shaken up by what happened today,” House Speaker Paul Ryan was in the train commented, “It just sometimes reminds you how fragile life can be.”

According to ABC News, NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) investigators on the scene, treated the situation as an accident, affirming that “if we find anything that indicates that this was intentional, we will turn that over to the FBI.”

In an attempt to assist as many people as possible, some Congress members and their spouses immediately set themselves to help.

“We jumped off the train and went to work,” Rep. Neal Dunn, R-Fla stated, “Every member of the ‘Doc Caucus’ got out of the train and helped the guys who’d been injured.”

President Trump said a few words regarding the incident, calling the accident a “tough one.”

Vice President Mike Pence, however, tweeted they were “getting regular updates on the Amtrak crash involving members of Congress and their families.

“Praying for all involved a & grateful for the swift action of first responders. @POTUS and I will continue to monitor closely. I’m heading to WV later today.”

Aside from one unfortunate death, there were no drastic or permanent injuries among the rest of the individuals present.