James Franco Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Valerie Arevalos, Arts and Entertainment Editor

2018 has started strong, as women are finding it safer to come out and tell their stories concerning any type of sexual assault – as well as beckoning those women who still find it hard to find their voice.

James Franco won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor on Jan. 7, but his big night backfired as several angry women lashed out at the “Time’s Up” pin on his lapel – a pin associated with the growing movement against sexual harassment.

Ally Sheedy (from The Breakfast Club) expressed her disappointment through Twitter saying, “James Franco just won. Please never ask me why I left the film/tv business.” 

Franco and Sheedy worked on an off-Broadway production of “The Long Shrift” in 2014, yet despite the lack of rumor or complaint from the 55 year-old actress, the Golden Globes induced a harsh reaction – “Why is a man hosting? Why is James Franco allowed in? Said too much. Nite love ya #goldenglobes”

Actress Violet Paley also had something to say on Twitter. “Cute #TIMESUP in James Franco,” she tweeted, “Remember when you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed p[****] & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?”

Paley then proceeded to retweet several similar tweets in discomfort of Franco’s appearance at the Golden Globes, especially those tweets of Sarah Tither-Kaplan, one of Franco’s former acting students.

“Hey James Franco, now that you have a Golden Globe why don’t you give speaking roles that don’t require nudity in your upcoming films to the dozens of women who have done full nudity + sex scenes in your indie films and art projects?,” she wrote.

This also followed with another tweet- “Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes, remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn’t exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!”

Two more former students, Hilary Dusome and Natalie Chmiel, came forward and expressed their discomfort while working with Franco at Studio 4, Franco’s acting and film school.

As well as the women coming forward to accuse Franco, there has also been people coming forward to defend Franco.

The Talk co-host,Sharon Osbourne, came to the rescue- “Are you kidding? So what? What has he done? He’s done nothing. So what if he’s got his d[***] out in a car? Big deal.”

So far, and in front of the media, Franco has only touched the subject twice on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, as well as on Late Night With Seth Meyers.

Regarding Paley and Tither-Kaplan’s tweets, Franco’s only response was that the accusations were “not accurate.” Regarding Ally Sheedy, however, he went more into detail- “I have no idea what I did to Ally Sheedy. I directed her in a play Off-Broadway. I had nothing but a good time with her, a total respect for her. I have no idea why she was upset.” 

Violet Paley

Two days after the Golden Globes, Paley tweeted once again, “A couple weeks ago, James offered me & a few other girls an overdue, annoyed, convenient phone ‘apology.’ I don’t accept, but maybe some other people’s lives would be made easier if he donated all of his earnings from ‘The Disaster Artist’ to @RAINN01”

In both interviews, Franco’s response revolved around the same conclusion – “The things that I’ve heard that were on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice, because they didn’t have a voice for so long. I don’t want to shut them down in any way. I think it’s a good thing and I support it.”

About the Writer
Valerie is the Arts and Entertainment Editor and what could easily be considered a journalism “O.G.” Her love for films, books, and music brought her her position as an editor, as her life is pretty much surrounded in artistic and tasteful drama. Nothing makes Valerie happier than to be curled up in bed with a...