Opinion: The Gilded Globes

Ivan Jimenez, News Editor

Sitting through three hours of the Golden Globes was nauseating. Seriously.

It wasn’t Seth Meyers’s stale, recycled jokes which irked me the most, nor was it the brutal three-hour run time. What annoyed me most about this year’s Golden Globes was the hypocrisy evident throughout the ceremony.

The Golden Globes, held Jan. 7 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, featured the usual array of Hollywood celebrities. But instead of donning flashy suits and gaudy dresses, most attendees opted out for simple, black clothing to show solidarity for victims of  sexual abuse. But the social cues didn’t stop there. Aside from clothing, attendees referenced issues concerning gender equality in their speeches, jokes, and invited guests.

“There’s something about women in Hollywood speaking out. There is a wall of silence around violence against women and girls and every time somebody speaks out, it just creates a bit of a crack in that wall,” said Marai Larasi, a women’s-rights advocate who doubled as Emma Watson’s guest.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t agree more with the evening’s message. Sexual assault is a serious topic that needs addressing, especially in light of last year’s expose of Hollywood sexual offenders, but this year’s Golden Globes did little to combat the problem. Rather, it served to further expose Hollywood’s blatant hypocrisy.

After all, this is Hollywood we’re talking about. Hollywood. The same industry under which the infamous “casting couch” was used in assaulting countless women since the industry began up to today.

This is the same industry which “has known forever about abuse, harassment and rape within its ranks. All the true powers in the industry – the agencies, the studio – have one way or another been complicit,” said the Wall Street Journal.

The Globes were a cunning masquerade. Hollywood knew that they wouldn’t be able to run away from their crimes, so they pulled the oldest trick in the book – they took control of the story themselves. No longer were Hollywoodites the culprits. They became the heroic fighters of abuse, tossing on black dresses as the cherries on top.

We saw a hive of rich celebrities, many of which likely knew and kept silent about Harvey Weinstein’s exploits, shoot up and clap at every denunciation of sexual abuse – sexual abuse which attendees of the gala likely participate in and cover up regularly, according to Slate.

And what did they accomplish? Throughout the event, I heard plenty of Harvey Weinstein denunciations, but we already know of his crimes. Where were the names of other sexual assailants hiding in Hollywood’s ranks? Surely they exist, or else there wouldn’t be any injustice left to fight. And it’s not like celebrities had any good reasons for staying silent. After all, it’s never been easier in today’s social climate to denounce sexual offenders, and never have the benefits for doing so been so fruitful.

And what about declarations that the Globes would be a turning point for social justice across the globe? In three hours of pomp and circumstance, I never heard Iran mentioned once. While Iranian citizens are rebelling against a cruel and oppressive theocracy, and where women are risking their lives by ripping off their hijabs in defiance of the country’s strict and oppressive Sharia law, Hollywood millionaires instead chose to spend an entire evening patting themselves on the back for lightly scratching at the cesspool of corruption that exists in their industry.

While women in the Middle East are stoned, whipped, and flogged on a daily basis, actress Connie Britton was busy fighting injustice by wearing a $380 “Poverty is Sexist” sweater.

Give me a break.

The Golden Globes were nothing but a feel-good event, an absolution without a penance. They were what we see from Hollywood on a daily basis, just more apparent and disgusting than ever.