Review: I, Tonya

Alyssa Yubac, Staff Writer

After more than two decades, Tonya Harding is once again making headlines but this time it’s not for her ice skating skills. The “mockumentary” I, Tonya premiered on Dec. 8, 2017, in select theaters.

While many people thought the movie would just be about the Nancy Kerrigan attack that happened on Jan. 6, 1994, it goes beyond that. The film is also based on contradicting interviews that screenwriter, Steven Rogers held with Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie) and Jeff Gillooly (Sebastian Stan).  

The film starts out with Harding’s childhood and how she started ice skating at the age of three. Then, going into her teen years when she met Gillooly at the ice skating rink she practiced at.

After Harding and Gillooly’s wedding, their stories get a bit puzzling because that’s when the inconsistencies really begin. The timeline adds to the confusion because while it is before the attack on Kerrigan, Harding haphazardly says she and Kerrigan were friends, but the press “wanted Nancy to be the princess.”

The conflicting stories really add to the film showing that there are more than two sides to this story. The one on one interviews also display that Harding, Gillooly, LaVona Harding (Allison Janney), and Shawn Eckhardt (Paul Walter Hauser) have views that come together, but also separate.

All of the actors did a wonderful job of portraying their characters, but Robbie’s “Midwestern” accent in the movie is very different than Harding’s accent.

While many people dislike the idea of Tonya getting a movie she may not “deserve”, the film does a good job of providing another viewpoint no matter how confusing it is.

About the Writer
Alyssa Yubac, Staff Writer

Alyssa Joy Yubac is a hardworking aspiring journalist. She is a very dedicated student, and always sees the bright side in tough situations. Alyssa is...