The End of the F***ing World Review

New Netflix original is not what it seems.

Cassondra Flanery, Staff Writer

With such a bold title – asterisks included – The End of the F***ing World masquerades as your typical “edgy” teen show. However, the complex character dynamics and intense themes that make up the storyline (complete with a killer throwback soundtrack) make it a must-watch for 2018.

The show is based on the comic book of the same name created by Charles Forman; however, there are several differences between them.

photo via ComicsAlliance – A page from the comic.

For one, the writers decided that the graphic ending in the comic wouldn’t convey the right message on-screen, Abraham Riesman explained in an article by Vulture.

In episode one, James (Alex Lawther) introduces himself as a psychopath, tone monotonous as he describes the various times he’d felt nothing while killing small animals. Alyssa (Jessica Barden), on the other hand, is fiery, defiant, and comes from a less-than-ideal family.

When they meet, Alyssa boldly pushes her way into James’s life, and so begins an off-kilter romance with the pair having wildly different motives.

Fed up with her creepy stepfather and complacent mother, Alyssa pursues her biological father.

In a strangely calm way, James starts planning ways to kill Alyssa as he gets to know her better.

photo via The Sun

Together, they go on a road trip, each hiding their true intentions.

This begins an unpredictable, hilariously nonsensical series of events; on the trip, James and Alyssa start to understand each other and the traumatic childhood events that resulted in their unstable demeanors. James even realizes he might not be a psychopath after all as Alyssa brings him out of his shell.

Despite the seemingly finite ending, however, Alex Lawther reports that a season 2 is possible.

photo via British Comedy Guide

Just after its release on Jan. 5, critics were already praising The End of the F***ing World – on Rotten Tomatoes, it currently has a rare 100% rating.

The End of the F***ing World breaks the stereotype of gritty teen shows being too forced, instead delivering a passionate story about two outcasts who find solace in each other along a turbulent ride.

About the Writer
Cassondra Flanery, Staff Writer
Cassondra is a sophomore at Helix, and has always loved writing. She is very excited to be in Journalism this year and can’t wait to start publishing her articles. In her free time, she watches her favorite films, listens to music, and daydreams about the future. Her past work includes getting an A on her...