2018 Grammy Nominations

Mahamed Abdulahi, Staff Writer

The 2018 Grammy’s are here!  Album of the year and song of the year nominations were announced on CBS This Morning live by Andra Day, not long after all 84 categories were released by The Academy.

The leading artist for this year’s Grammys is Jay Z with eight nominations, in categories like album of the year, record of the year, song of the year, and best rap album.

Not far behind is rapper Kendrick Lamar with seven nominations including album of the year. Bruno Mars is nominated for six awards including album of the year.

SZA is the most nominated female at the Grammys with 5 nominations for her first major studio album.

Artists like Khalid, Childish Gambino, and producer No I.D. received five nominations each.

Lorde, who recently came out with her new album Melodrama secured a nomination for the most coveted award: the album of the year.

She is nominated alongside Jay Z, Bruno Mars, Childish Gambino, and Kendrick Lamar. The nominations for this award are historic for many because there are no white men nominated for album of the year.

The Root describes the situation as, “The Academy appreciating diversity in art for women and people of color.”

The Grammys and Academy, in general, have long been accused of being biased in terms of gender and race. This year shows a dramatic shift in the way The Academy recognizes marginalized and underrepresented artists.

The awards next year are expecting a lot of attention for its diversity and high profile nominations stretching from Jay Z to Cardi B.

Any category with more than five nominees means there was a tie. The eligibility period for the 2018 Grammys extended from Sept. 1, 2016, to Sept. 30, 2017.

The Grammys aired live on CBS from Madison Square Garden in New York City on Sun., Jan. 28.

Find the full list of 2018 Grammy award winners here.