Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back

The Road to Sacramento

Romeo Sharpe, Staff Writer

For the fourth year in a row, the Helix Highlanders headed up to Southwestern College for the CIF Championship game. On Saturday, Dec. 2, the number-two ranked Highlanders faced off against the number-one ranked, undefeated Missions Hills Grizzlies, led by Prep Pigskin Silver Pigskin finalist, quarterback Jack Tuttle.  It was a game that consisted of 6 lead changes. In the end, Helix came up on top and put a blemish on the Grizzlies record in a 26-19 win, being crowned San Diego Open Division Champions

Before the big game, I sat down with Helix football’s head coach, Robbie Owens, to discuss his impression of the Scotties so far. He confidently stated, “I really like the energy in which these guys play with. The play for each other rather for themselves.”

He also gave Mission Hills tremendous amounts of respect and praise to the coaching staff and Jack Tuttle. Owens said, “I expect my guys to go out there and give their all; I expect to remain focused and do not look ahead. I do expect Mission Hills to bring their A-game.”

The first quarter was a defensive battle. Both Helix and Missions failed to go down and score.

In the second quarter, both offenses showed up. Mission Hills drove the ball inside the 5 yard-line, but the stingy defense of the Highlanders kept them out the end zone. Mission Hills capped off the long drive with a field goal and the first points of the game, taking a 3-0 lead.

On the ensuing Helix drive, sophomore stud, Elelyon Noa, was the workhorse as he was handed the ball three straight times and scored the first touchdown from 3 yards out. Both Mission Hills and Helix scored touchdowns as the score at the half is a two-point Helix lead, 12-10.

Mission Hills came out hot at the start of the 3rd as Tuttle threw a strike to Chris Olave from seven yards out. The 16-12 lead for the Grizzlies did not last long; Helix goes down the field and Elelyon Noa scores his second touchdown of the game, giving Helix the 19-16 advantage.

In the fourth quarter, the Mission Hills offense could not get anything going and could only produce a field goal. As for Helix, the offense got another spark in the fourth as Elelyon Noa was unable to be contained, and scored his third touchdown of the game.

In the end, the Highlanders came out victorious with a 26-19 win over Mission Hills. Coach Robbie Owens captured his first CIF championship as the coach and Helix captured their second CIF championship in four years. Helix will be playing in the state championship game against a undefeated Folsom team in Sacramento, on Dec. 15.