Jobs in High School

What You Need to Know

Jobs in High School

Grace Fields, News Editor

Money. We all need it, but many of us don’t have it. We’re all, “Young Dumb and Broke,” as the artist Khalid once stated so wisely. The obvious solution to this dilemma is to get a job. But finding a good job can be a strenuous task- how is one supposed to find work that pays well, has good hours, and isn’t completely miserable? It won’t be easy, but it can be done.

Step 1: Finding a Job

The first, and arguably most difficult, part of acquiring a job is finding one. The job market can be extremely competitive, but luckily, there is a fairly wide range of options for high school students. The most common employers are fast food restaurants, ranging anywhere from Jack in the Box to Chik-fil-A. In-N-Out is notorious for being one of the best paying jobs out there, and they will even transfer you to another restaurant if you move. Some other large employers are retail stores and normal (not fast food) restaurants.

Most job openings are listed online. There are many different websites with job listings, which include Indeed.com and Snagajob.com. If you find a job you wish to apply for, make sure the posting is from a reliable source.

Step 2: Applying for a Job

If you find a job that you are interested in, the next step is to apply. Even if they don’t ask for one, a resume is a valuable resource to have when applying. Create a resume that looks professional and includes all of your attributes including any awards you have received. Employers also look for teens who are reliable and organized. Emphasize that you are dependable in the application or interview. It is also beneficial to have a list of references that your prospective employer can contact, so that they will hear others’ opinions of you.

Step 3: Getting a Work Permit

If you are offered a job that you want to accept, the next step is to get a work permit. Coach Owens, who can be found in the Flex Office in our new administration building, gives out the work permits. You can get the application either from Coach Owens, or on the Helix website, through the Work Permit link under the Students tab. The link gives further instructions and details on work permits including additional information on the laws that guide teen jobs.

After you have your application, you, your prospective employer, and your guardian have

to fill it out. Once completed, turn the application into Coach Owens, who will process

your application, and make sure you have, “at least a 2.0 G.P.A.,” Coach Owens explained, or you will, “not be allowed to have a job.” If you do have a 2.0 G.P.A., the school should allow you to work. If your permit is processed and accepted, you may then give the permit back to your employer.

Getting a job can prove extremely beneficial. Jobs teach responsibility, look good on college applications, and pay you! It’s a win-win-win situation, and the only thing you are giving up is some time. Jobs are worth it. They are a rite of passage that help you become more independent. And best of all, they might help you become less, “Young Dumb and Broke.”