Advice to a Freshman

Sadie Neville, Editor-in-Chief

Starting freshman year can be rough. Between the new environment, new friends, and a chaotic new schedule, it is understandable to be overwhelmed. The Fling has compiled a list of advice to make the most of your first year as a Scottie while staying on top of everything.

Pay Attention in Helix First.

Despite what many upperclassmen will tell you, Helix First is a very valuable class. Use it to your advantage and listen carefully. You will learn advice to succeed in high school and college.

Do Not Procrastinate.

I know, this is a crazy cliche, but it truly should be taken to heart. Procrastination will cause more and more stress as it is built upon itself during the school year. Trust me, it is better to get assignments done the night they are assigned, rather than wait until the day they are due.

Go to Tutorial Periods.

Take advantage of the time given to you to help you succeed. Helix’s schedule was modified last year to allow students two days a week of before-school tutorials. Start by sacrificing one day a week of sleeping in to head to school early and improve the grade on your next math quiz.

Choose Your Friends Wisely.

Steer clear of people who will distract you from your goals. Instead, surround yourself with people who will push you to get to where you want to be and not stifle your potential. Falling in with the “wrong crowd” can be damaging to both your grades and your mental state.

Get Involved.

Take it from us, high school is a lot more fun if you are involved in sports, clubs, or the like on campus. It may take a while to find what you are interested in, but when you do, really commit yourself to it. As an added bonus, involvement will look good on your college applications.

Do Not Be Afraid to Ask Questions.

Asking clarifying questions is arguably one of the most important ways to be successful. Asking questions is rarely frowned upon, especially not when it is in regards to a test or assignment.

Get Organized.

Organizing your life will give you peace of mind, leaving you with one less thing to worry about. Invest in a couple different colored highlighters or pens, and get to color-coding. Along with being more aesthetically pleasing, your system will be easier to navigate and your teachers will thank you.

Show Your School Pride.

Helix is a place to be proud of, and you should celebrate that. Dress up for spirit days, go to the football games, and brag about your school to all your Grossmont friends. Helix is your school – make that known.

Be Bold.

Freshman year is a clean slate. Do things you have always been afraid to. Wear that neon shirt, join that club, step outside your comfort zone. Everyone in high school is trying to figure themselves out, too.

For some students, freshman year may feel like the longest of their lives, but with these tips, you can make it a year you never want to end.