Roger Moore Dies at 89

Samantha Miranda Espinoza, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Roger Moore, best known for his portrayal of James Bond in no fewer than seven films, died at the age of 89 on Tues., May 23.

The New York Times noted the loss of “The dapper British actor who brought tongue-in-cheek humor,” who passed away due to cancer this was confirmed by his family on Twitter that he had died in Switzerland.

His family noted that “We know our own love and admiration will be magnified many times over, across the world, by people who knew him for his films, his television shows and his passionate work for UNICEF which he considered to be his greatest achievement,” according to CNN.

CNN also mentioned, “The family will hold a private funeral in Monaco, per his wishes.”

“Moore dropped out of high school and went to work as an animation apprentice with a British film company,” according to CNN.

According to the New York Times, “Moore was the oldest Bond ever hired for films in the official series,” being in his 60s, older than both David Niven who had been in his 50s and Sean Connery who had been in his 30s.

“Moore also had the longest run in the role, beginning in 1973 with ‘Live and Let Die’ and winding up in 1985 with ‘A View to a Kill,’ wrote the New York Times.

ABC News reported reactions to the death of Roger Moore.

“It is indeed with a heavy heart that I hear the news of your passing this morning. You were a big part of my life, from The Saint to James Bond.. .you were a magnificent James Bond and one that lead the way for me, the world will miss you and your unique sense of humor for years to come,” said Pierce Brosnan, who also played Bond.

In an interview, CNN wrote, “The dapper actor had the longest run as 007. In a 2014, interview, he told NPR he thought his version of the spy who never met a foe he couldn’t conquer or a woman he couldn’t seduce, was the most humorous.”

“Moore was married four times: to actress Doorn Van Steyn from 1946 to 1953, singer Dorothy Squires from 1953 to 1968, to Italian actress Luisa Mattioli from 1969 to 1996 and socialite Kristina Tholstrup whom he was married to at the time of his death,” wrote CNN

According to CNN, “Moore said a prostate cancer diagnosis in 1993 changed his outlook on life,” and that the diagnosis had allegedly pushed him to make huge decisions such as  leaving his third wife for his fourth.

However, his passing should not be seen as a solemn end for, according to CNN, “The actor told NPR in 2014 that he did not believe that death was the end.

‘My attitude about death is, going into the next room, and it’s a room that the rest of us can’t get into because we don’t have the key,’ Moore said. ‘But when we do get the key, we’ll go in there and we’ll see one another again, in some shape or form, or whatever.“