Summer in San Diego: What to Do

Ayni Mohamoud, News Editor

It has been a long year for freshmen and sophomores, and a fast one for juniors and seniors, but as the school year comes to an end and our seniors venture off into the workforce or into more schooling, summer kicks off in San Diego.

Here are some summer activities for our returning students and for seniors to do before entering the adult world:

The Fair

The summer is heating up at the San Diego County Fair. The fair will have the Toyota Summer Concert, with plenty of performers to sing and dance throughout the night. The concerts will begin on June 2 and will continue all throughout June and July. Some performers include Jeremih, Aloe Blacc, and Leann Rimes. https://sdfair.com/what-to-see/

Exhibits

The Del Mar Fair puts on exhibits of all types that allows kids and adults to hear stories of the past and to get hands on fun. The Tall Tales of the West is a new Theme Exhibit the Del Mar fair has brought. The Exhibit is open in June and will be open on certain days in July. https://sdfair.com/events/tall-tales-of-the-west/

Explore Nature

The sun will definitely be out, so why not go for a hike on one of the many hiking trails in sunny San Diego? Torrey Pines, Mission Trails, Cowles Mountain and more are some of the best places to go for a hike or even for a bike ride.  An uphill hike beats an hour on the squeaky treadmill any day. A clear head, a fit body and even more exploration of San Diego sounds like an awesome summer to me.

Legoland

Legoland California is a theme park, miniature park, and aquarium located in Carlsbad, California and based on the Lego toy brand. Legoland is the place for fun. The rides and attractions will for sure tire you out, but no worries, Legoland Resort is just near by, so book a room. Legoland’s Water Park and Sea Life Aquarium reel in all the tourists, so be sure to check them out.

Parks

Find a park, set up a picnic with your family, and enjoy the sun. Summer doesn’t have to be about going to extravagant and expensive places. Spending time with your family is less money consuming and more fun to spend time with your loved ones. So just kick back, relax, and cherish those family memories.

Seaport Village

Skate on down to Seaport Village, a waterfront shopping and dining complex adjacent to San Diego Bay in downtown San Diego, California. Seaport is bound to have festivals and performances, family attractions. Artists and carousels, and other surprise for kids and adults. Topped with San Diego’s amazing weather, Seaport Village has it all.  

Museum

The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) is the region’s foremost forum devoted to the exploration and presentation of the art of our time, presenting works across all media. Located in the heart of downtown San Diego and in the coastal community of La Jolla, (MCASD) provides an unprecedented variety of exhibition spaces and experiences for the community.

Beaches

The best place to go in the summer is the beach. San Diego’s beaches are the most beautiful and the most fun. You can walk, skate or bike the boardwalk, ride the giant roller coaster or jump in a game of beach volleyball. Surfing is permitted in designated areas.

The Zoo

The San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are fun places to take the whole family and have an amazing time with the animals. The animals and positive aura of the parks are sure to bring families together for a good time. http://www.sdzsafaripark.org

Stay Home

There’s nothing wrong with staying home and relaxing on your couch or laying on your bed. Summer will bring the heat, so chilling at home will not only protect you from the sun, you won’t have to pay for anything or get dressed up. There are plenty of books to read and Netflix shows to binge watch. Stay at home and take advantage of your free time, you all deserve it.

This summer is bound to be filled with sun, fun, and and being done with school. Seniors, have as much as you can and for the rest of the Highlanders, be ready to return to school with your “A”-game.