The “Taxpayer First” Budget

Sadie Neville, Editor-in-Chief

President Trump issued his full budget plan for 2018 on Tues., May 23 and government officials are saying it is “even worse for the Washington region than the initial […] version released in March,” according to the Washington Post.

However, the budget stands a very slim chance of being passed by Congress, reported the New York Times.

The Atlantic stressed that, “Trump’s budget would almost certainly increase the number of uninsured Americans while hurting poor families,” referencing the drop in health care access to those living below the poverty line.

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney announced the $4.1 trillion spending plan to Congress on Tuesday, and critics were quick to express their thoughts.

Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) called on the proposal, saying it “attempts to balance the budget on the backs of the American middle class and would make life much harder for families and seniors,” according to the New York Times.

The Washington Post fears “large holes in the social safety net,” as the new budget slashes funding on programs such as Medicaid, which issues health care to the poor, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, in charge of food stamps.

In fact, the only three government programs that would see increased funding are Veterans Affairs (6%), Homeland Security (7%), and the Department of Defense (10%).

The Environmental Protection Agency would see a 31% cut in their funding, the largest drop of the organizations. This is undoubtedly due to Trump’s previous comments throughout his campaign and time in office, denying climate change on multiple accounts.

Although Trump’s budget is not favored to pass, Republican Congressmen will likely take advantage of the situation to tweak into their own budget plans.

Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, noted that “at least now we have common objectives. [The] last president never proposed, let alone tried, to balance the budget,” reported the New York Times.