Police Fatally Shoot 15-Year-Old In Torrey Pines High School Parking Lot

PC: CBS 8 News

PC: CBS 8 News

PC: CBS 8 News

I'Yonna Applon-Kettles, Sports Editor

PC: KPBS

On Saturday May 6 2017 , a teen boy from Torrey Pines High School, was shot to death by police in the school’s parking lot.

According to San Diego Police Department (SDPD) Acting Homicide Capt. Mike Holden, the 15-year-old boy called police asking officers to conduct a welfare check on a minor — himself — near Torrey Pines High School, in Carmel Valley just before 3:30 a.m.

According to New York Times, the caller said the boy had no weapons, but when patrol officers arrived and located the teenager, he pulled what appeared to be a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at them, Holden said.

Both officers drew their weapons and ordered the boy to drop his gun. Instead, the boy continued to point the gun at the officers and began walking toward them. Both officers shot the boy multiple times, after shooting the young man the officers attempted first aid. The teenager was taken by paramedics to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, where he was pronounced dead, according to The New York Times.

The two officers — including an officer specifically trained to deal with juveniles — were the first to arrive at the parking lot at the front entrance of the school. One of the officers who shot the student has been at the San Diego Police Department for 28 years. The other has been with the department for 4 years, according to Fox 5 News.

After further investigation many asked about the weapon, Captain Holden called it a “close replica,” and said the police had to examine it carefully to determine that it was, in fact, a BB gun, according to The New York Times.

Police verified that the boy was a student at Torrey Pines High School and he lived near the school.

“I’m compelled to help a child before it gets to this point,” said parent of Torrey Pines High School Student, Tracy Francisco Dominici.

A mother concerned about the emotional well being of her son who attends the high school stood in front of the crime scene tape and held up a sign offering to listen to any student in emotional distress, reported San Diego Union Tribune.

“Something caused this child to feel so much pain whether it was at school or at home, or extended family or out in the neighborhood with his friends. Who knows where it was coming from. It’s important that he had someone to talk to and obviously just from speculation it feels like he didn’t have anyone to talk to,” said Francisco Dominici.

“I am saddened to report that the 15-year-old boy who was killed was a student at our school. Law enforcement has not released the name of the young man, but our hearts go out to the student, his family, and his friends,”San Dieguito Unified High School District Superintendent Eric Dill wrote in an email to district families, according to Fox 5 news.

According to Fox 5 News, during the boy’s autopsy, investigators found a suicide note in his jacket pocket, according to San Diego police. “The note indicates the (boy) planned the incident that resulted in his death,” SDPD Lt. Mike Holden said.

“People are shocked, angry, frightened, and already questioning why body-camera footage isn’t being made available as soon as possible,” Maupin said in a statement distributed to reporters. “This should not happen in America and people want to know if what happened had to happen or if this unfortunate result was in any way avoidable”, he said.

In a statement to Fox 5 on Sunday,  the teen’s mother said her family was “mourning the loss of a loving and wonderful young man. We ask that you respect our privacy as we remember him and all he meant to us.”