Aaron Hernandez Takes His Own Life

PC:Jim Rogash/Getty Images

I'yonan Applon-Kettles, Sports Editor

PC: CNN News

Aaron Hernandez grew up in Bristol, Connecticut  home of ESPN headquarters, and he had the sort of athletic gifts that would help him to be a football superstar and one of the NFL’s most promising tight ends. Unfortunately Hernandez’s career was ended early due to him committing suicide.

Unfortunately less than a year after signing a $40 million contract extension with the football powerhouse New England Patriots, he was charged with first-degree murder, reported CNN News.

The 27-year-old was serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd in 2013. He was acquitted in a double homicide case where he was accused of murdering Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado in 2012, according to Sporting News.

Being charged with the most serious charges in that case would have only added to his life sentence because Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.

Odin Lloyd, the man Hernandez was charged with murdering, was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancée. Motive remains unclear, though it may have been that Lloyd had some knowledge of Hernandez’s link to a double homicide in the summer of 2012.

Hernandez’s death came the same day his former team visited the White House to celebrate their Super Bowl victory two months prior.

According to CBS Sports, Hernandez was also possibly romantically involved with a male friend before being sent to jail.  Newsweek also reported that Odin Lloyd’s knowledge of an intimate relationship Hernandez allegedly had with a male former high school classmate was central to the investigation of Lloyd’s June 2013 murder.

After the up and coming superstar was convicted, it seems as though he couldn’t handle the consequences. Hernandez committed suicide on April 19, found hanging from a bedsheet in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Massachusetts, the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office said. His death was ruled a suicide, reported ABC News.

According to CBS Sports, WBZ-TV, the CBS affiliate in Boston, when Hernandez was found Wednesday, Hernandez had the Bible verse “John 3:16” written on his forehead. Hernandez was also reportedly found with red markings that were drawn on both his hands and feet.

After Aaron Hernandez committed suicide, authorities in Massachusetts said that the former Patriots tight end didn’t leave killing himself. However, after further investigation, it turns out that’s not the case. Hernandez actually left three suicide notes and a Bible in the prison cell where he was found dead.

With the suicide notes it was unclear why Hernandez left three of them. However, one report has suggested that they were targeted for three different people. According to CBS Sports, Hernandez left one note for his fiancée, one note for his 4-year-old daughter and one note for his prison boyfriend.

Newsweek added that Hernandez “moved a large amount of money into three accounts shortly before his arrest for the Lloyd killing: one account was for his fiancée; a second was for his daughter; the third, where the most money was moved, was for that friend.”

Two hours after his arrest on June 26, 2013, the Patriots dropped him from the team.

While Aaron Hernandez was on trial for the murder of Odin, in Hernandez’s defense lawyer James Sultan’s closing arguments, he asked “why would a young man with a $40 million contract kill a semi-pro player Odin Lloyd less than a mile from his own home?”

According to CNN News, friends and fans have wondered for a long time now how the star player, who had more than 900 receiving yards in 2011, now be accused of murdering three people?  

The letter to a secret lover was discovered, and Hernandez’s lawyer Jose Baez denied the claims telling TMZ that the “rumors of letters to a gay lover, in or out of prison, are false.”

According to New York Daily News, the former tight end also gave Kyle Kennedy (the alleged secret gay lover)  a $50,000 watch and other items before leaving him the suicide note.

On April 24, the Hernandez family held a private funeral for Aaron. Some of the people who attended the private funeral were, Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez’s, his longtime fiancee and the mother of his 4-year-old daughter; his older brother, Jonathan “DJ” Hernandez; and his mother, Terri Hernandez.  

Also Pittsburgh Steelers Center Maurkice Pouncey and his twin brother Mike, a center with the Miami Dolphins, attended Hernandez’s funeral. The brothers were teammates with Hernandez at the University of Florida, according to CNN News.

According to CNN  the Hernandez family thanked the public for their condolences and said they wished to memorialize him in private.