NASA Women Lego Set

Maria Vazquez, Web Design Editor

Five of NASA’s women pioneers will be transformed into lego forms.

Lego announced the set of new figures will include, “Some of the pioneering women who played vital but sometimes under-appreciated roles in the U.S. space program,” according to CNN Tech.

Maia Weinstock, science writer and Deputy Editor of MIT News, submitted her design idea through the Lego Ideas website, where it lets fans submit their own ideas for a new Lego set according to Space.com and other news sites.

This new groundbreaking collection will include:

1. Katherine Johnson, an African-American physicist and mathematician whose calculations help send astronauts to orbit and to the moon. She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2015 and her story was recently told in the film “Hidden Figures.”
  1. Margaret Hamilton, an American computer scientist, systems engineer, and business owner who was also the Director of the Software Engineering Division at MIT. Hamilton contributed to the landing of Apollo 11 with her software. She is mostly known for inventing the modern concept of software.
  1. Sally Ride who is an American physicist and astronaut who changed history as she was the first American Woman to travel to space.
  1. Nancy Grace Roman, also known as “Mother of Hubble,” was an American Astronomer who  contributed to make the Hubble Space Telescope and continues to work with teachers and students today. She developed NASA’s astronomy research program.
  1. Mae Jemison, American engineer, physician and NASA astronaut. She was the first African American woman to travel to space.

In order for the set to hit stores, it has to undergo a “public vetting process,” where it needs to earn 10,000 votes from the public before it is considered to become an official set by Lego.

In Weinstock’s proposal, she wrote, “Women have played critical roles throughout the history of the U.S. space program,” and continued to say that, “their contributions are unknown or under-appreciated — especially as women have historically struggled to gain acceptance in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).”

The new set received positive feedback by the audience and was able to get the 10,000 votes against other suggested sets.

The new set is to appear in stores shelves later on this year reported NPR.