Bittersweet Charity: A Review of “Sweet Charity”

Sofia Jacobo, Co-Editor in Chief

The Highland Players production of “Sweet Charity” which ran from Jan. 7 to Jan. 11, was one of the best performances I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Sweet Charity tells the tale of Charity Hope Valentine (played by senior Rilyn Gardner), a hot mess, hopeless romantic “ballroom hostess” who wants to find one thing: true love. Charity is looking for love in all the wrong places, until she stumbles upon Oscar Lindquist (played by sophomore Luke Babbitt), an uptight control-freak tax accountant.

The story takes place in various parts of New York City, including Times Square, Central Park, and the Fandango Club, where Charity works.

Props (pun intended) to the entire cast who not only memorized their lines, but the choreography and songs as well.

I never fully comprehended the work and effort it takes to put on a play, especially being a main character, like Gardner, who played the role of Charity, as well as choreographed the play as a part of her Senior Project.

The music appropriately went along with the musical, thanks to Helix Choir teacher, Michelle Tolvo-Chan. To this day I cannot get “Big Spender” out of my head, thanks Fandango ladies.

The background lighting went perfectly with the emotion behind each scene, whether it be a darker, more intense scene, or a happy and light scene. Big congratulations to the crew for making this possible.

“Sweet Charity” was directed by Drama teacher Mr. Gregg Osborn, who also managed Production Design with his mother, Maxine Osborn.

This was my first time seeing a production by the Highland Players, and it’s safe to say that it will not be my last. Despite the music and acting stealing the show, the ending is what left a mark on the audience.

In the beginning of the play Charity is thrown in the lake while desperately trying to flirt with Charlie (played by senior Bergen Proefrock). Fortunately she is saved from drowning by the townspeople. And at the end she ends up the same place she began, only this time, she saved herself.

“Sweet Charity” taught me that to truly love somebody, you have to love yourself first.