The Dream of Free College

Robert Resendiz, Photography Editor

The middle class and less fortunate are worried that their futures might not be desired due to the cost of college. However, New York City might be the state to change that.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo from New York, announced a possible solution to the issue regarding the youths expensive nightmare. He pledged to cover tuition costs at state college for thousands of middle-and low-income New Yorkers, according to New York Times News.

Cuomo’s inspiration for the accomplishment followed Senator Bernie Sanders, whose free tuition plan was a promise that he had for the presidential nomination. He was on stage with Governor Cuomo to witness the steps to a pledge, according to New York Times.

This brings so much joy to many New Yorkers under the governor’s plan to help college students who have been accepted or enrolled to a state or university in New York. This includes two years of  community college tuition in.

Basically, anyone would be eligible for the free tuition if their salary income is $125,000 or less, according to NBC New York.

If the plan is approved by the state lawmakers, eventually it’ll boost the economy. This fall residents would make up to $100,000 a year. This will result into the average income of increased salary to $110,000 in 2018. Therefore, this can do good to the economy, according to NBC New York.

According to CNN Money, there are individuals who don’t agree with the plan, because they claim tax bills would increase.

“Governor Cuomo isn’t providing free tuition, he’s simply telling New York taxpayers to write a bigger check,” said NY State Assembly Republican Leader Brian Kolb, in a statement emailed to CNN. “At the end of the day someone has to pay the bill, and once again his political ambitions will be subsidized by the highest taxed people in America.”

Democrats want New York to inspire the country, especially the low income families so they can have a shot at success. “I urge New York legislators to pass this enormously important proposal, and become a model for the rest of the nation,” said Sanders as reported by Inside Higher ED News.

The economy, society, technology and everything else is slowly changing into a future where everyone can have the opportunity for higher education.