The San Diego Women’s March: A Step (or 5,280) Towards Equality

Sadie Neville, Co-Editor in Chief

Following the election on Nov. 8, plans for the Women’s March on Washington erupted in and around Washington, D.C. Women and their supporters alike took to Facebook to RSVP for a protest that would be heard around the world on Jan. 21.

However, those not in that area wanted a way to express their emotions as well. Since Nov. 8, over 150 Women’s Marches have been organized across the country in solidarity with Washington, D.C.’s Women’s March on Washington and in response to the new President and his stances on women, their health care, and their fundamental rights in equality. And San Diegans were lucky enough to find one such event in our own backyard.

The San Diego Women’s March took place on Jan. 21, uncoincidentally following the inauguration of Donald Trump the day before. Although Trump tweeted that he didn’t agree with the origins of the march, he wrote that he “recognize[d] the rights of people to express their views.”  

The local mile-long course began at the San Diego Civic Theater downtown and ended in front of the County Administration Building. Supporters of the March included groups such as Planned Parenthood, the San Diego National Organization for Women, Run Women Run, NextGen California, and more.

According to the San Diego Police Department, over 40,000 empowered women and their supporters of all ages showed up on the bright Saturday morning, dodging the projected rain, according to Weather.com, to speak out for their rights and protection over the next four years, and for generations to come. The protest remained peaceful, and the atmosphere reflected the idea behind the march – empowering and lively. The crowd was inspiring beyond words and truly symbolized the coming together of the city in harmony and strength.

Mrs. Paula Ann Trevino, class of 2018 Grade Level Principal, spoke on her experience attending, saying that, “I do believe that the turnout represented the values of those attending as well as many others who were not able to attend. The event was a clear message that women’s rights and human rights matter.”

Throughout social media, the hashtag “WhyIMarch” circulated throughout participants of all 150 sister Marches, prompting all to dedicate their movement to an individual or group. Men and women alike took the opportunity to recognize daughters, grandmothers, mothers, and often those less fortunate than themselves.

British actress Gillian Anderson took to Twitter to express her reasons, writing the she marched, “for women everywhere who deserve a voice, respect, humanity, and equity.”

San Diegan Sam Bybee voiced that he took to the event for “everyone who’s not [him] – a white, privileged male.”

As for what Helix students can do to exercise their beliefs, Trevino urges them to “Be active […]. Too many people in my generation have taken advantage of the rights and freedoms we have, and as a result, are leaving an undue burden on future generations. I’m hopeful that our youth will unite together to work better as one people. Right now we are becoming more divisive and [they] might be the glue we need to bring us back together.”